IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Member of Public Decides who gets a PCN

Options
I have been sent a PCN.

I have since discovered that the caretaker of a development I own a property in and was parked in, he was the one who decided I should receive a PCN. He took two images and sent the information to the private parking company who then issued a PCN.

I'm wondering how legal it is for members of the public to be supplying information to a private parking firm and then getting PCN's issued to people solely off the back of this information. 

Surely this is not legal ?

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - it's called self-ticketing.  But you don't pay private parking charges all the time that they remain unregulated. 

Which parking firm?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 May at 2:36PM
    Options
    Yes - it's called self-ticketing.  But you don't pay private parking charges all the time that they remain unregulated. 

Which parking firm?

www.parkingcsl.co.uk who I think are owned by Debt Recovery Plus Ltd.

The first letter stated I should click on a link for the evidence and it was just a payment link.
    Then they added some photos which show a car parked in a space 
    I've asked them all sorts of information and they don't respond.
    They have called asking for payment and threats of court etc 
    I've told them there was a permit in the car, it fell off, I've owned the space I was parked in for 30 years.

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 May at 3:12PM
    Options
    Yes, as it says on every page of their website...

The fourth post of the NEWBIES thread explains exactly how to deal with debt collector's letters, but to summarise that post - ignore them.

But who issued the Parking Charge Notice? It wasn't PCS was it?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,082 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As you are dealing with Muppets in an unregulated industry yes they do it, though reading the conflicting statements in the BPA COP it fringes on the ridiculous, just to make a quick buck, the self ticketer usually gets a small rake off for every successful PCN issued, don't let it be you!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 May at 3:59PM
    Options
    If you own a property in a development, presumably there must be some sort of contract about allowing you to park. You need to dig it out and see what it says about parking, unregulated private parking companies, parking charge notices, paying parking charge notices, court, and rights to quiet enjoyment. What it doesn't say is just as important.

Plan A is always a complain to the landowner or landholder. This could be a management association or the landowner of communal and/or parking spaces.
    You should also complain to your MP.

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the name of the parking company listed on the signs ?  Can you share pictures of the signage please. ?
  • stop_this_nonsense
    stop_this_nonsense Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm wondering how legal it is for members of the public to be supplying information to a private parking firm and then getting PCN's issued to people solely off the back of this information. 
    Just remember that PPC company directors, employees and associates are also just "members of the public"! Those knuckle-draggers have no special privileges or powers.
     B) 
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,082 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Block the idiots number they are debt collectors who can't do diddly squat.
    They won't enter into any correspondence they are third party greedy debt collectors working a scam, Norris the caretaker won't be doing his deeds for them but a greedy private parking company muddying the waters with this second rate firm.
    If you do actually own the parking space why did you agree to let some Norris trespass on your land to issue invoices?
    Surely if he is the "caretaker" and you have "owned the space for 30 years" he should know your car anyway?
    Who is the parking company, you should have had a Notice To Keeper from them, it will also be on any signage if there is any?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback