Regular Withdrawals from Stocks ISA

Options
Are there any stocks and shares ISA providers that allow you to withdraw a regular amount?

My wife and I need to start living off those investments prior to breaking the seal on our pensions and I'd rather not have to log in each month and do it manually.    Our current provider doesn't seem to offer it and an internet search doesn't look too promising for other providers.

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plenty will allow you to have dividends paid away, it could be lumpy but with a cash buffer not much of an issue
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AJ Bell certainly offer the option of regular withdrawals from cash from their S&S ISA. I have some of retirement funds in an S&S ISA, mainly invested in Investment Trusts that pay dividends, and I have a regular monthly withdrawal set up to pay those dividends to me. It has worked completely reliably since setting it up. The only gotcha is that you have to ensure that these is sufficeint cash in the account to make the withdrawal.

I'm not aware of anyone that offers the possibility of a regular Sell option to allow you sell assets to get the cash needed for regular withdrawls. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are there any stocks and shares ISA providers that allow you to withdraw a regular amount?

My wife and I need to start living off those investments prior to breaking the seal on our pensions and I'd rather not have to log in each month and do it manually.    Our current provider doesn't seem to offer it and an internet search doesn't look too promising for other providers.
    Are you planning to derisk your holdings to avoid having to sell at inconvenient times, and if so, do you perhaps have the option of manually shifting, say, a year's worth of withdrawals into a cash ISA for subsequent monthly access?
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    Plenty will allow you to have dividends paid away, it could be lumpy but with a cash buffer not much of an issue
    Thats what we do.
    A couple of months cash buffer and dividends paid out as they arise from HSDL and once a month from HL.
    It is lumpy with peaks every three months but the cash buffer takes care of that.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

My wife and I need to start living off those investments prior to breaking the seal on our pensions and I'd rather not have to log in each month and do it manually.   
    Do what manually precisely?  If you want a bespoke service you'll need to pay for it. 
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wouldn't this involve automatically liquidating some holding in order to pay out cash to you? I'd certainly want to retain manual control over that...
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gravel_2 said:
    Wouldn't this involve automatically liquidating some holding in order to pay out cash to you? I'd certainly want to retain manual control over that...
    This is why few if any platform providers allow automated selling of assets. It's a bit risky, and beyong the risk appetite of the providers to facilitate something that might go badly wrong for the client. 

Owning dividend producing assets and maintaining a cas buffer is the way to go, and is safe enough.  
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback