PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council want to install fire door on ex council flat - who pays?

Options
The council want to replace front doors in this block with fire doors. I live in an ex council flat, so  who pays and can I refuse the work?

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does your lease say about it?
  • Mildreds_Earrings
    Mildreds_Earrings Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If the fire doors meet the current fire safety legislation, then there is little you can do about it. 

If the Council owns the building and the works are required, then if you are a tenant, you pay through your rent and if you are a leaseholder, you will receive an invoice for your contribution. 

If the works exceed £250 per person, the Council will serve you with a Section 20 Notice.

Check your lease. You signed up to the terms of the lease when you purchased the property. If the Council carries out the formal S20 Consultation correctly, you cannot refuse the works. 
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pleased to hear council doing works to make you & yours safer.  I'd be more than happy to pay for extra safety for me.

Yes, what does your lease say - can't read it from here....
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 May at 11:13AM
    Options

Paul10012 said:
    I live in an ex council flat,

So presumably  you mean you are a leaseholder.

If so, you need to read your lease to see who is responsible for the front door - You (the leaseholder) or the council (the freeholder).

It's usually you (the leaseholder).

As a guess, the council might be saying...
    • It's a legal requirement for you to install a fire door for your flat
    • We (the council) will install one for you, if you want, at a cost of £x - which you'll have to pay
    • Or you can arrange installation yourself (But there may be conditions about the style of door, etc. And you might have to pay fees for the style to be approved by the council, and/or for the door to be inspected by the council, once it's installed.)

You can check with the council whether what they want really is a legal requirement, or just a preference on their part.

• Jude57
    Jude57 Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 May at 12:45PM
    Options
    Paul10012 said:
    The council want to replace front doors in this block with fire doors. I live in an ex council flat, so  who pays and can I refuse the work?
    My landlord, a local authority, is currently installing new windows in my block and are doing so free of charge for leaseholders because the funding has come from grants for energy efficiency. When they replaced the front (only) doors to each flat a few years ago, leaseholders again didn't have to pay because it was part of the improved fire safety measures. Residents were consulted on the preferred colour for the new doors but the style, which is actually very nice, wasn't up for debate. All doors in the block are identical and aside from letterbox and flat number which were installed with the doors, nothing else is permitted to be attached so as not to affect the doors' integrity for fire safety. Leaseholders could not refuse the work because failure to install the new doors was a safety issue and would have affected whether the block as a whole met regulations, as well as the block insurance requirements. It's my understanding that, had anyone refused, ultimately the Council could seek a Court order enforcing compliance, enabling them to effectively force entry if necessary, to replace the door. The new doors are much nicer, far more secure (with 5 point locks) and of course, meet the fire safety regulations. 

I'm surprised that your Council hasn't notified residents in writing of what's happening, why it's happening and whether leaseholders will have to pay. Why not ring the Council and ask? If you can't get an answer, try speaking to your local Councillor, their contact details are on the Council's website - but perhaps leave it a few days to look that up in case new Councillors have been elected for your Ward.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback