Does this Bill seem Right?

Options
Spender£
Spender£ Posts: 339 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
I have been working down south away from home apart from the odd day for the last year or so.
My energy bills have gone understanably low due to nobody being in the house but my 6 monthly water meter bill has gone up in this time in fact; my latest bill for just me not being there was £89.00.
This was an "actual reading" according to the company and seems to be correct after lifting the lid and checking myself.
My neighbour claims him and his wife who are pensioners and at home most of the time are paying £69 per six months.
I thought that no using the toilet or showering etc would really show on the bill but it has gone up instead.
Is this a sign of a possible leak somewhere?
Time Is The Enemy!

Comments

• brook_heather
    brook_heather Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Could well be a leak - take a reading a day apart with no usage in the house and see if there is any change in the reading.  Does the meter show single litres or just hundreds of litres?  What was your average daily usage in m3 over those 6 months?
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been working down south away from home apart from the odd day for the last year or so.
    My energy bills have gone understanably low due to nobody being in the house but my 6 monthly water meter bill has gone up in this time in fact; my latest bill for just me not being there was £89.00.
    This was an "actual reading" according to the company and seems to be correct after lifting the lid and checking myself.
    My neighbour claims him and his wife who are pensioners and at home most of the time are paying £69 per six months.
    I thought that no using the toilet or showering etc would really show on the bill but it has gone up instead.
    Is this a sign of a possible leak somewhere?
    Based on my region (Thames Water), the standing charges alone for six months would be around £56, so £69 for your neighbours seems improbable unless they are on one of the social tariffs, or are underpaying and thin that their "bill" is just the Direct Debit and they are accruing a debt. 

The other thing to consider is were your previous bills actual bills, or were the previous ones estimates and this is a catch up bill based on the previous estimates being too low?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback