Getting all my shares in one place

Options
I have a share portfolio (mostly inherited) which I have with X-O (the no-frills arm of Jarvis Investment Management) because there's no standing charge for them to simply hold the shares for me.

However, I have some shares in Shell - also inherited - that, for reasons unknown to me, are held in a nominee account with Equiniti/Shareview. I'm looking at moving them over to X-O so that everything is in one place. I'm thinking simplified finances and fewer sources to have to look at for info for my annual tax return.

Is there any reason (other than avoiding the £10 fee) that I should leave the Shell shares where they are rather than moving them?

Comments

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have a share portfolio (mostly inherited) which I have with X-O (the no-frills arm of Jarvis Investment Management) because there's no standing charge for them to simply hold the shares for me.

However, I have some shares in Shell - also inherited - that, for reasons unknown to me, are held in a nominee account with Equiniti/Shareview. I'm looking at moving them over to X-O so that everything is in one place. I'm thinking simplified finances and fewer sources to have to look at for info for my annual tax return.

Is there any reason (other than avoiding the £10 fee) that I should leave the Shell shares where they are rather than moving them?
    I'd shift them but what's the size of the holding relative to the rest of your portfolio?  It can make sense to split your assets across multiple brokers if the failure of a broker where you hold all your assets would cause problems e.g., no access to dividends or the ability to sell for up to a year whilst things are being sorted out.
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I'd move them. I had a few Lloyds shares with Equiniti and it was such a palaver to deal with them. Swallow the fee and get them moved across, for much easier admin as you say. You'd have to pay to sell one day anyway with Equiniti, so think of it as paying for the sale early!
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If your shares are held with Shareview (Equiniti) in a Corporate Sponsored Nominee account, then they charge 1% (with a minimum of £20) to sell up to £50k's-worth, so it might actually work out a bit cheaper to transfer them and sell with X-O, even with Equiniti's £10 transfer fee.

https://www.shareview.co.uk/4/Info/Portfolio/default/en/home/products/Documents/RatesandChargesCertificated.pdf
  • lynneinjapan
    lynneinjapan Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wmb194 said:

I'd shift them but what's the size of the holding relative to the rest of your portfolio?  It can make sense to split your assets across multiple brokers if the failure of a broker where you hold all your assets would cause problems e.g., no access to dividends or the ability to sell for up to a year whilst things are being sorted out.

The Shell shares are about 12% of my overall portfolio. I'm not in the habit of buying and selling shares and not reliant on the dividends (they're a nice bonus rather than income I need to live on) so I think the convenience of having everything in one place will outweigh the risk of Jarvis/X-O failing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback