Universal Credit housing benefit an PIP

Options
Hi, thanks for reading. I live in Hospital residences but am facing eviction soon having lost my job to severe mental health issues. I an on Contribution based ESA and enhanced rate PIP for both elements. I am a high priority with the council but may not have enough time to be housed appropriately, leaving me homeless for a time. I cannot be put into temporary housing due to my issues. I need help with remembering medication, personal hygiene, going outdoors, and a host of other issues. Currently my Daughter comes to me to help me. The only option I have left is for my Daughter to take care of me at her home, but I am concerned about her benefits. She is on UC and gets the housing benefit element. How will me having to move in for a time affect her benefits please? I know she will loose the 25% council tax discount, and i have read me being on PIP will not affect her housing benefit, but I cant find anything about my savings I have left. Can anyone tell me if they will be taken into account. Thanks you.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, thanks for reading. I live in Hospital residences but am facing eviction soon having lost my job to severe mental health issues. I an on Contribution based ESA and enhanced rate PIP for both elements. I am a high priority with the council but may not have enough time to be housed appropriately, leaving me homeless for a time. I cannot be put into temporary housing due to my issues. I need help with remembering medication, personal hygiene, going outdoors, and a host of other issues. Currently my Daughter comes to me to help me. The only option I have left is for my Daughter to take care of me at her home, but I am concerned about her benefits. She is on UC and gets the housing benefit element. How will me having to move in for a time affect her benefits please? I know she will loose the 25% council tax discount, and i have read me being on PIP will not affect her housing benefit, but I cant find anything about my savings I have left. Can anyone tell me if they will be taken into account. Thanks you.

No they won't because they're yours, not hers.
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you also spoken to your local Housing association. Also the council will have emergency temporary accommodation also speak to citizens advice but the council can't do nothing until the eviction notice is served. But as you have medical conditions it could be halted by law ⚖ 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May at 8:40PM
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    Have you also spoken to your local Housing association. Also the council will have emergency temporary accommodation also speak to citizens advice but the council can't do nothing until the eviction notice is served. But as you have medical conditions it could be halted by law ⚖ 
    The OP has another thread going about their housing situation. It is unclear whether they have a tenancy or not. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • NineParsecs
    NineParsecs Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi all, thanks. The housing stuff is all being looked after my my adult social care officer. If anyone else has information on my original question it would be so much appreciated.
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. Your daughter would lose her 25% discount, unless she applies for a discount under the "severely mentally impaired" rules. You would normally need to get a certificate signed by your GP (or similar) for her to qualify for this.

2. Her housing element of UC will not be reduced (as you say), as you are on PIP. In fact, it may even go up, depending on her exact circumstances.

3. Your savings will be completely ignored.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback