Sensitive:heart failure in a cat

Options
kezzygirl
kezzygirl Posts: 902 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
After some advice, though I recognise it is ultimately my decision but it would be helpful to discuss with those who may have been in a similar position.

Our cat, tabby, is 12. She has lost weight in recent months and last week began breathing rapidly. I suspected a heart or kidney problem, took her to vet who confirmed he could hear a heart murmur and her heart rate was 140. She was mouth breathing due to the stress. He suggested a few options: xray to see lungs and heart, but said he couldn't hear fluid or crackles in the lungs, which would confirm/refute his diagnosis of heart disease/failure at a cost of £390. This would then lead to medication being prescribed. 

Option 2. Prescribe medication anyway

3. Euthanize her sooner rather than later, which some people choose to do. She won't recover and it's likely they'll be a rapid decline. 

Tabby won't take medication, of this we are 100% sure- we struggle to even worm her. We decided to take her home and care for her. 

She continues to eat, drink, toilet, but is resting lots. Today, her breathing has changed again. Every few breaths she is taking three even more rapid ones, seems more lethargic but continues to be bright eyed and silky coated. 

She is not mouth breathing. I don't know what to do for the best, I really don't. Do we wait until she drastically goes downhill to take her to be put to sleep or do we say we dont want her to get to that point.

Please be kind in your responses, this is hard enough as it is wwithout harshness.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    That's such a tough one and I feel for you.  If she's still eating etc I'd be inclined to watch and wait for now. What ever you decide know that you are doing your brst
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,345 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in the watch and wait camp. 

Unless there's anyway you could hide some meds in her food.  I know this is impossible for some cats.  I've only had one cat over the years that would come running to take meds but he was a greedy sausage who thought anything that rattled must be a treat.  

Meanwhile lots of hugs, snuggles and prawns or bits of chicken or cheese.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    That's such a tough one and I feel for you.  If she's still eating etc I'd be inclined to watch and wait for now. What ever you decide know that you are doing your brst
    That was my thought and our plan, but with this decline in breathing I don't want her to suffer. She isn't panting and not obviously distressed, maybe il monitor over next few days. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Better a week too early than a day too late.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally I'm in the other camp

If the vets are saying it's not recoverable and a rapid decline (which you appear to already be seeing) I'd rather euthanize knowing that she was still relatively comfortable and not distressed.

Such a tough time 😔
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May at 8:58PM
    Options
    I think I agree with Hampshire H. 

I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately because my dog is on a downward slope. Not at the point where I need to make a decision, but I’m trying to think now what a good quality of life is for him while I can still think about it more clearly.
    So not so much what he can still do, but all the things he enjoys that he will lose as his health declines.

There is more to having aome quality of life than still eating. And by the time they are distressed, it’s too late. My last dog collapsed on me (without warning) and I had to carry her to the vets panicking and struggling to breathe to be put to sleep. 

If I can avoid that for my current boy, then I will.  One last good day filled with treats and fuss, and then goodbye. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    elsien said:
    I think I agree with Hampshire H. 

Ithanks’ve been thinking about it a lot lately because my dog is on a downward slope. Not at the point where I need to make a decision, but I’m trying to think now what a good quality of life is for him while I can still think about it more clearly.
    So not so much what he can still do, but all the things he enjoys that he will lose as his health declines.

There is more to having aome quality of life than still eating. And by the time they are distressed, it’s too late. My last dog collapsed on me (without warning) and I had to carry her to the vets panicking and struggling to breathe to be put to sleep. 

If I can avoid that for my current boy, then I will.  One last good day filled with treats and fuss, and then goodbye. 
    Thanks Elsien. That's my worry, that she will collapse and it will be awful for her and awful for us to see her like it. I think we will keep a close eye over next few days, if her breathing deteriorates again, then I think a decision will need to be made. This evening I had a slice of sausage I cut in two for her and she managed only one half and left the other, which surprised me. I think il watch her eat her breakfast tomorrow and see how much she's managing to eat. We have also had urine on the doormat the last few days which could be her or her sister, who knows. 

Il update you all in the coming days, thankyou for being kind
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am with the better a day too early than a day to late brigade.

if she is struggling to breathe then I would say please let her go, we have the gift to let our pets depart with dignity & not suffer (not humans 'though!) I would also say that a long weekend is approaching.....what happens if you need a vet suddenly on Sunday or Monday?

If she is clearly not herself are you doing her any favours? Why are you keeping her alive? for your sake?
    No, I am not trying to be controversial but I remember a friend saying that to me over a dog- that was very brave of her and it made me think. So I sadly 'did the deed'

It's a very hard time for you. Thinking of you.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    I am with the better a day too early than a day to late brigade.

if she is struggling to breathe then I would say please let her go, we have the gift to let our pets depart with dignity & not suffer (not humans 'though!) I would also say that a long weekend is approaching.....what happens if you need a vet suddenly on Sunday or Monday?

If she is clearly not herself are you doing her any favours? Why are you keeping her alive? for your sake?
    No, I am not trying to be controversial but I remember a friend saying that to me over a dog- that was very brave of her and it made me think. So I sadly 'did the deed'

It's a very hard time for you. Thinking of you.
    I have asked myself that: are we keeping her alive for our sake, not hers, and you're absolutely right, it's for ours but also she is still quite perky, despite increased resps.  

She has perked up a bit today and has laid in the sun in the garden, which was lovely for her. She has given a few friendly miaows but is obviously tiring easily as she is laying down lots. She even came out to us today while we hoovered the car and laid watching. I hate the thought that she has no idea that her life is almost over, I doubt she realises, which upsets me. 

Il update you in the coming days x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure