Resolve call chasing debt paid off years ago.

Options
Hello Newby here. I just had a text telling me I'm getting  a house call from Resolve Call. It quotes the name I had 20 years ago, and the link is about a debt I had 22 years ago that was paid in full within a year by installments via an Allpay card. I received help and advice from the local community law service at the time regarding the debt. I do not have any of the documents anymore i onlyvkeptvthem for 15 years. I have moved house three times and have no CCJs and have a good credit score. I have had two other collections agencies contact me over this debt and both times they stopped  once we sent a letter.  None have threatrned to visit the house. I am vulnerable, and disabled. What should I do? I can't have any visit I have a sensory disability too. Scared witless. The debt was paid in full 20 years ago.

Comments

• spinningsheep
    spinningsheep Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, firstly welcome to the forum. Secondly, DO NOT WORRY. Unless the debt was subject to a CCJ it is now statute barred (6 Yrs is the limit) and therefore unenforceable. Even if a CCJ was obtained way back when, the creditor would need to apply to the county court to enforce the CCJ, and frankly they'd have no hope at all. Resolvecall are simply trying it on to try and get payment for a long dead debt that they likely paid pence for. Do not engage with them at all, ignore the calls or letters. Nobody will visit your home, and if they did, you are under no obligation to answer the door or engage with them in any way whatsoever. Relax and do not worry. 

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You should send them a letter to state that due to the age of the debt it is statue barred.  No point in going in to the bit about you already paid it as that admits you owed it.  But even if you hadn't paid it then the fact that it is statute barred still resolves the issue.  

Add a line to say that if anyone sets foot on your property you will consider it harassment and will contact the police.

Don't be scared.  They are simply trying it on and being blatantly heavy handed about it.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • GreenHare
    GreenHare Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Many thanks! The original debt was under 500 pounds, there was no CCJ. The debt was in my old name but it was run up by a family member on a now defunct store card. There were no missed payments or late charges when I purposely defaulted with help from citizens advice and the local community law/ welfare advice service. I agreed to monthly instalments on an Allpay card, none were missed and the money was paid off within about a year. I was newly disabled and lost my job, and didn't get income support for a year, the person who bought items didn't pay me, they died. So I took advice and defaulted on two cards. One was my own debt. Neither had missed payments. It was all done officially. I never  signed a credit agreement. The company actually went into administration and the card repayment plan was passed to another creditor, the collectors are quoting the first creditor. I actually paid it off in a lump sum when I got a rebate. I had kept the payment  fulfilled  letter and receipts until a few years ago. 

I have had a scam debt collector try and get me to pay something that I never owed, and I thought this was the same thing. I'll send a letter.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    1. Resolvecall are not bailiffs and so have no rights at all. If they turn up tell them to contact the debt owner.

2. Who is the owner now of this? PRA? Cabot? Lowell? Write/ email them to tell them that they are chasing a debt paid off 20 years ago. 
  • GreenHare
    First Post
    Options
    I have no idea who bought it, I haven't contacted them. I have to have someone else make my calls as I cant communicate via phone due to the nature of my disability. I do everything in writing. It was paid in full 20 years ago.
  • fatbelly
    edited 1 May at 5:53PM
    Options
    No- one's saying to phone them. Do email or a letter.

So Resolvecall are not saying who they are acting for, but they have said that it is for a specific debt that you recognise. It is unusual for them to work for an original creditor but if they are the only contact that you have, write to them.

The traditional response to a letter out of the blue is a prove-it. If you want to use that there's a copy at the top of the debt free wannabe forum

EDIT: JUST REALISED YOU HAVEN'T HAD A LETTER, YOU'VE HAD A TEXT. YOU CAN IGNORE TEXTS. ANYTHING IMPORTANT GETS A LETTER.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say block the number the text came from.  When you get a text from another number block that.  They will give up.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Brie said:
    I'd say block the number the text came from.  When you get a text from another number block that.  They will give up.
    Or, if this is genuine, they'll send a letter
  • GreenHare
    First Post
    Options
    The text just says 'resolvecall' There's no number and I can't block it. It's like a push message but it's vn my text folder. It has a link to click.  I've tried blocking,  no option to fo do.. I forwarded it to rep'ort phishing before I checked it.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    This is sounding more scammy. Ignore it till you get something proper
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business