Charged for a Boarding Pass?

Options
Hi,

I recently returned from Rome after picking up a travel document from the embassy due to the police stealing/losing it.

Anyway, I rebooked a flight with Wizzair via eDreams as an intermediary.

Eight hours prior to departure I received an email, from eDreams, with a link to check-in and generate a BP on their app.

I put in my particulars about 3 hrs prior to departure, and the app crashed with a nonsensical message.

I therefore queued up at the WA check in desk. They sent me for a 'free' boarding pass up to the airports ticket office. I explained all this to the woman up there and showed her the app crash etc.

She refused to give me a free BP saying that I didn't show her that the WA app crashed. I only ever got a link for a BP via eDreams, it wasn't possible through WA.

Anyway to get on my flight I was forced to pay €49 back down to WA desk to get it printed with the receipt. Don't know why didn't just print one there anyway.

No eDreams claim they aren't responsible for a refund as I didn’t pay for check-in with them, but it's included in the purchase fee.

Think they may be fobbing me off.

Who is responsible in this scenario and any suggestions to proceed?

Thanks

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wizaair have no responsibility to you in respect of a third party agent's app or any issues it may have. 

You should have gone directly to the Wizzair website or app and checked in there.  eDreams should have given you your Wizzair booking reference with your confirmation (unless they hide this to make people use their own app?)

Whether you can reclaim your money from eDreams.... I doubt it, they are a bargain basement agent that try and upsell on everything. They do offer a checkin service where they'll do it for you, you may have a claim if you used that. I'm sure you shouldn't be forced to use their own app over the airline.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Using Edreams is asking for trouble... of course it is their responsibility, but they are beyond the jurisdiction of courts in the UK and they know it. If you paid by credit card then you MIGHT get somewhere on the basis that you did not get a product (service) that was fit for purpose.
  • Bluenunn_in_the_north
    Bluenunn_in_the_north Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May at 11:00PM
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    Wizaair have no responsibility to you in respect of a third party agent's app or any issues it may have. 

You should have gone directly to the Wizzair website or app and checked in there.  eDreams should have given you your Wizzair booking reference with your confirmation (unless they hide this to make people use their own app?)

Whether you can reclaim your money from eDreams.... I doubt it, they are a bargain basement agent that try and upsell on everything. They do offer a checkin service where they'll do it for you, you may have a claim if you used that. I'm sure you shouldn't be forced to use their own app over the airline.
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. I did go to the WizzAir app. There was no option to check-in and get a boarding pass, I doubled checked. Also I went to their physical desk and they sent me to the ticket office to get one for free.

I did have a WA booking confirmation code which I used on their app. No option to check-in.

I was offered free check-in via an email link to edreams app, it crashed.

Thanks 
  • Bluenunn_in_the_north
    Options
    Using Edreams is asking for trouble... of course it is their responsibility, but they are beyond the jurisdiction of courts in the UK and they know it. If you paid by credit card then you MIGHT get somewhere on the basis that you did not get a product (service) that was fit for purpose.
    Thanks.  I bought it on debit card but do have travel insurance so may try that...
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bagand96 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I did go to the WizzAir app. There was no option to check-in and get a boarding pass, I doubled checked. Also I went to their physical desk and the Sent me to the ticket office.

I did have a WA booking confirmation code which I used on their app. No option to check-in.

I was offered free check-in via an email link to their app, it crashed.

Thanks 
    That seems very strange.  When did you check the Wizzair app? Note that they close online check-in 3 hours before departure. Their website and app have quite clear check in links, and they make it clear airport check-in is chargeable Check-in and boarding (wizzair.com)
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What stopped you from doing online check-in via the website?
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Going via travel insurance is absolutely pointless, the excess would cost you more than the 49 euros.
  • Bluenunn_in_the_north
    Bluenunn_in_the_north Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 May at 12:17PM
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    bagand96 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I did go to the WizzAir app. There was no option to check-in and get a boarding pass, I doubled checked. Also I went to their physical desk and the Sent me to the ticket office.

I was offered free check-in via an email link to their app, it crashed.

Thanks 
    That seems very strange.  When did you check the Wizzair app? Note that they close online check-in 3 hours before departure. Their website and app have quite clear check in links, and they make it clear airport check-in is chargeable Check-in and boarding (wizzair.com)
    I checked in, or tried to around 4pm, the flight took off at 7:30, boarding was at 18:45. I didn't receive any communication from Wizzair at all for checking in.

[Image removed by Forum Team]
  • Bluenunn_in_the_north
    Options
    la531983 said:
    Going via travel insurance is absolutely pointless, the excess would cost you more than the 49 euros.
    It's £50 but I'm putting a claim for the passport, extra accomodation, flight etc  so worth it..
  • Bluenunn_in_the_north
    Options
    Emily_Joy said:
    What stopped you from doing online check-in via the website?
    I was directed to the app via the email link.  I didn't try the website after the app accepted my data and bugged out on me. At that point I thought I'd  have no issue queuingbat the desk and getting one printed off for free, so it was moot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback