We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Has tomorite grow bag mixture changed?...

Options
2»

Comments

• mmunro2013
    mmunro2013 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks again for your comments, most helpful... we couldn't really tell how heavy the pots were as we put a few crocks in bottom of each to improve drainage. Anyhow, to we decided to repot in a premium compost mix with seaweed extract. Now watching this space. Will report back in a while. 
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with crocks. My toms are in pots sitting on a gravel bed, I fill the gravel with water, the toms send their roots into the gravel looking for it. As long as there are holes in the bottom, and the pots aren't sitting in water, they'll be fine. Although even that doesn't make sense given that the roots grow in the gravel and the gravel always has some water in it...Thsi could be the start of more experiments :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    I think tomatoes are one of those plants which can be grown well hydroponically - you just need to make sure there's enough movement of the water so the oxygen levels remain decent around the roots (the plants don't rot/drown)
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure