We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Has tomorite grow bag mixture changed?...

Options
mmunro2013
mmunro2013 Posts: 28 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Has anyone noticed if tomorite grow bag mixture has changed. Seems to be more fibrous and strong smell of manure. Also, doesn't seem to absorb the water as well, just drains through?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 May at 2:42PM
    Options
    Not a direct answer because I don't use Tomorite grow bags, however it seems that nearly all compost mixtures have changed, mostly for the worse, because of the ban on use of peat for domestic retail customers

A lot is now made from composted municipal green waste, and very variable quality
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've used one that isn't branded but looked like tomoright and from a reputable garden centre. It's lumpy large bits of wood that are left after watering. Not how it looked at first. 
    I'm disillusioned  :/

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Well I've bought two today. One is Westland brand, £5 from Morrisons. The other was £2.50 from Lidl. I doubt there is any peat in either so we'll see how it goes
  • mmunro2013
    Options
    Thanks for responses... so far after 2 weeks of tomato plants (after bringing on in kitchen window) being planted out into greenhouse the soil looks dry on surface and water just drains through... plants themselves look a little bit weak (light green leaves, little growth and no flowers yet)
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was talking about this with my mum today - I potted on my tomatoes in new compost which seemed to be little bits of wood rather than soil. It was very wet though and the tomatoes have been fine without additional water (after a watering in slosh) through two weeks in a sometimes baking conservatory. When I experimentally added some water yesterday, it immediately drained through the gaps. So I think a good soak in standing water to let the bits absorb the water might be the way (though how this works in the ground, I'm not sure!)
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Bearing in mind that those at the top of the tree internationally seem hell-bent on punishing anyone non-corporate who has the audacity to produce food in a traditional manner, it may be no coincidence that the standards for 'home gardening' compost have been revised. Didn't a study by the University of Michigan 'prove' home gardeners were far more damaging to the environment than big enterprise?
    The shape of things to come, perhaps.
    The two most important days of your life are: the day you were born, and the day you find out why.
  • mmunro2013
    Options
    Thanks once again for comments... an update from me. See the attached pictures. The plants have been in the Tomorite for a week now. As you will see the picture, the water (from earlier today)is still sitting in the plant pot tray, not absorbed up into the plant and the leaves don't look to healthy. We removed a plant from one of the pots and you will see the roots haven't developed at all. We are now considering repotting into good quality compost... thoughts please?

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Agree with Taff, give it a chance.
    However, if you feel you want to change, this year I'm using Levington multi, from Home bargains, £3.49 40ltrs
    Looks carp, like composted straw, but my toms are loving it, so something must be right. Not used long term, so they may just curl up & die next week. ;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Something else you could consider is just buying a single bag of something else and mixing? 

Tomatoes really don't like being waterlogged as much as they don't do well drying out, so something with good water retention mixed with something more 'woody' that would hopefully breakdown more over the summer could work well? 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback