We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need to cover/fence one side of open pergola

Options
2»

Comments

• JillyC8
    JillyC8 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it's easier, you can replace the missing or damaged fence, provided you keep your posts on your side of the boundary.
    Unless there's good reason to suspect otherwise, you can assume that your neighb's fence is sitting on their side of the boundary line, with their posts just touching it. So you position your new posts so that their backs are touching this same 'line', so your posts will now be sitting on your side, so fully on your property. The two fences will be 'overlapping' where they meet, but that shouldn't be an issue.
    He then must not touch your fence. 
    Thanks for your input; the broken fence actually sits on top of a low wall, which is very old and crumbling. This wall is then is connected to an outbuilding which also belongs to them, so it's a bit of a complex set up. I can certainly look into that though.
    Single mum since 2007.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JillyC8 said:
    If it's easier, you can replace the missing or damaged fence, provided you keep your posts on your side of the boundary.
    Unless there's good reason to suspect otherwise, you can assume that your neighb's fence is sitting on their side of the boundary line, with their posts just touching it. So you position your new posts so that their backs are touching this same 'line', so your posts will now be sitting on your side, so fully on your property. The two fences will be 'overlapping' where they meet, but that shouldn't be an issue.
    He then must not touch your fence. 
    Thanks for your input; the broken fence actually sits on top of a low wall, which is very old and crumbling. This wall is then is connected to an outbuilding which also belongs to them, so it's a bit of a complex set up. I can certainly look into that though.
    It's an option, that's all. You can fit your posts hard against this wall (but not attached to it). Then you'll only need short-height panels to continue above the wall to achieve the required height (usually limited to 6', or is it 2m, I understand).
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JillyC8 said:
    Does that area get a lot of wind? If it does fixing something solid to the pergola might add additional forces that the post weren't designed for.
    That is a very good point; the fence does get battered about a bit. It isn't overly exposed but the storms we've recently had have broken some of the pieces of the trellis away and it's now leaning in as you can see. I guess I would need something that's flexible in that case, to avoid stressing the posts.... lots to look into.
    If the wind is a real factor, something that has some holes in it to allow the wind to pass through would be better than something solid. For example, a hedge will always withstand wind better than a fence (not suggesting you put a hedge up - just illustrating the point)
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We have large pieces of trellis for privacy.
    Our posts are concreted in but you can get post holders that are bolted down. 
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Long wooden battens fixed horizontally, with a gap of say an inch between each one. Then you’d have the option of hanging pot plants or growing climbers
  • JillyC8
    JillyC8 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    All great ideas - thank you so much. I'm having a few quotes just to see how much it will cost to have either a fence on the inside of the low wall, or something fitted between the posts, then i'm going to look at getting some outside curtains up as well for the summer as I think it will look amazing. Somehow I'll get the space covered. Thanks all, so glad I asked on here.
    Single mum since 2007.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure