We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit card security blockage abroad - due diligence failures - have you been caught out?

Options
2»

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    Did you inform them in advance of where you were going.
    I believe this can be done on-line.
    It's not a guarantee but it should reduce the chances.
    Did you do this?

Did you not have any alternative cards?
    I don't think many banks still offer that website facility ?
    Santander do as part of Card Services, however when I called them the other day to confirm that my wife's card was  flagged up for forthcoming travel abroad the young lady advised that notification was not strictly required.
    Confusing !!!
    I like to err on the side of caution and insert details online before departure.
    Halifax Clarity always used to do this, many moons ago.  Go online, specify the country you're going to and the dates.  The last few times I've been abroad, when I went online it said "You no longer need to tell us you're going abroad".
    No idea why - it always seemed an eminently sensible feature to me.  Reduces the chances of your card being blocked when you are on holiday, and increases the chances of them flagging up any suspicious transactions that happen abroad outside of the dates you specified.
    I think this ties in with OP's apparent confusion - contemporary anti-fraud algorithms are driven by many parameters, and I don't believe that using a card outside the UK is seen as particularly relevant anymore, so there's no value in trying to maintain a record of where cardholders are travelling, especially if doing so conveys the (misleading) impression that they're less likely to have transactions declined.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    Did you inform them in advance of where you were going.
    I believe this can be done on-line.
    It's not a guarantee but it should reduce the chances.
    Did you do this?

Did you not have any alternative cards?
    I don't think many banks still offer that website facility ?
    Santander do as part of Card Services, however when I called them the other day to confirm that my wife's card was  flagged up for forthcoming travel abroad the young lady advised that notification was not strictly required.
    Confusing !!!
    I like to err on the side of caution and insert details online before departure.

Halifax Clarity always used to do this, many moons ago.  Go online, specify the country you're going to and the dates.  The last few times I've been abroad, when I went online it said "You no longer need to tell us you're going abroad".
    No idea why - it always seemed an eminently sensible feature to me.  Reduces the chances of your card being blocked when you are on holiday, and increases the chances of them flagging up any suspicious transactions that happen abroad outside of the dates you specified.

Ah sorry Im out of date on that then.

I don't believe any card has been promoted as perfect.
    I also make sure I have 2 myself in addition to whatever my partner has. It's always been advised to carry several.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Had the same on a Princess cruise ship over ten years ago using a Santander Zero card which had been used in dozens of foreign destinations over the years, including whilst ashore on the cruise.

Came to pay a bill of about $300 and it wasn't approved.  Another card came to the rescue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure