Revolut transfer

Options
I would like to transfer some money to my grandson’s Revolut account for his birthday – hopefully without charge from my credit card or bank account. A bit clueless as to how to go about this so would appreciate any help please.?

Comments

• friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you have his sort code and account number, you can send him money from your bank account by Faster Payment. All free of charge.

I don't think you can pay with credit card, and even if you could, that would be a bad idea because it would most likely be considered as a cash withdrawal and incur an extortionate charge.

BUT do you want to do this at all? Revolut are known for blocking accounts when 'unknown' payments arrive in people's accounts.
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a banking app on your phone. If you have his account number you can transfer though your app.
    Come on you Irons
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    friolento said:
    If you have his sort code and account number, you can send him money from your bank account by Faster Payment. All free of charge.

I don't think you can pay with credit card, and even if you could, that would be a bad idea because it would most likely be considered as a cash withdrawal and incur an extortionate charge.

BUT do you want to do this at all? Revolut are known for blocking accounts when 'unknown' payments arrive in people's accounts.
    Do you have any hard evidence of this? Despite reading the odd horror story on here, the three people I know personally who use revolut have had no problems at all. My son (student) has taken his all over Europe and to the USA without any dramas.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    friolento said:

Do you have any hard evidence of this? Despite reading the odd horror story on here, the three people I know personally who use revolut have had no problems at all. My son (student) has taken his all over Europe and to the USA without any dramas.
    Agree - large or unusual transactions are likely to set alarm bells ringing, but I assume this will be a relatively small sum. And if the account does get blocked, it should be easy enough to prove the source of payment and unblock it, given it's coming from a family member. 
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Revolut has the most FOS complaints of any bank which means they are particularly trigger-happy when it comes to block accounts for further investigation. There is also a reason for why they still don't have a banking licence after over two years of trying.
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zinger549 said:
    Do you have a banking app on your phone. If you have his account number you can transfer though your app.
    I have an IBAN and a BIC … 🤷‍♀️
  • dbrookf
    Options
    dbrookf said:
    I would like to transfer some money to my grandson’s Revolut account for his birthday – hopefully without charge from my credit card or bank account. A bit clueless as to how to go about this so would appreciate any help please.?
    have an IBAN and a BIC … 🤷‍♀️
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dbrookf said:
    Zinger549 said:

Will your gift be in GBP (£)? If so, using his Revolut GBP account sort code and account number will be simpler and more suitable, certainly fee-free by faster payment.
    As for those who say that they have no problems using their Revolut accounts, when any problems do arise their customer services for resolving them are notoriously dire with a basic (free) Revolut account.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    friolento said:
    Revolut has the most FOS complaints of any bank which means they are particularly trigger-happy when it comes to block accounts for further investigation. There is also a reason for why they still don't have a banking licence after over two years of trying.
    It could mean they're trigger happy, or they're especially attractive to fraudsters so have to do more checks. 

• dbrookf
    Options
    eDicky said:
    dbrookf said:
    Zinger549 said:

Will your gift be in GBP (£)? If so, using his Revolut GBP account sort code and account number will be simpler and more suitable, certainly fee-free by faster payment.
    As for those who say that they have no problems using their Revolut accounts, when any problems do arise their customer services for resolving them are notoriously dire with a basic (free) Revolut account.
    eDicky said:
    dbrookf said:
    Zinger549 said:

They’re in Sweden…
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure