EDF Energy Smart Meter Fiasco, What are my next steps

Options
Trevwil
Trevwil Posts: 4 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi,

Can anybody help with what my best options are now to resolve outstanding smart meter issues with EDF.

Short story. Had a Gas smart meter installed start of year but it was not compatible with Gen 1 electric meter. Had to fight to get a new electric smart meter fitted to be compatible with new gas meter. After several failed attempts to commission both meters I went to the ombudsman.

The ombudsman decision was in my favour and EDF had to do three remedies.

1. Pay a set amount of inconvenience money 

2. Write an apology letter

3. Commission the smart meters 

Time is now up from the time scale set by the ombudsman and only number 1 has been completed.

EDF have made no contact with me during this time but sent an engineer to commission the meters (just a generic email telling me a date and time with no way of changing it). he got the meters talking to each other and the in home display working but from what I can see they are not sending any information to my online account. The energy hub online shows no data. I presume that this means the meters are still not sending readings back to EDF. 

Loosing will to live with EDF now so what would be your helpful suggestions.

P.S. I am in contract with them till September with £140 cancel fee.

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 10:03AM
    Options
    Have you checked whether data is flowing to the DCC? You can do that via the n3rgy.com website (sign up as a consumer) or by using one of the apps: Loop, Bright or Hugo.

If the data is showing on those, then the issue is at the EDF end, not with your meters. If not, it looks like your meters are not sending the data to the DCC and you'll have to persevere with EDF. I'd suggest raising another complaint with them.
  • Trevwil
    Trevwil Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you checked whether data is flowing to the DCC? You can do that via the n3rgy.com website (sign up as a consumer) or by using one of the apps: Loop, Bright or Hugo.

If the data is showing on those, then the issue is at the EDF end, not with your meters. If not, it looks like your meters are not sending the data to the DCC and you'll have to persevere with EDF. I'd suggest raising another complaint with them.
    Thanks for the information. Been on n3rgy.com downloaded the data. The new gas meter is showing current usage information but the new electric meter (installed after the gas meter) is not showing it still shows the information from the old meter before they changed it out. This just gets even more confusing!
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 12:22PM
    Options
    Trevwil said:

Thanks for the information. Been on n3rgy.com downloaded the data. The new gas meter is showing current usage information but the new electric meter (installed after the gas meter) is not showing it still shows the information from the old meter before they changed it out. This just gets even more confusing!
    That's weird since (as I understand it) the gas meter typically sends its readings to the comms unit attached to the electricity meter, and then onto the DCC. So if the gas readings are showing in n3rgy.com, it shows the comms unit to the DCC is working, but it looks like your electricity meter is not sending readings for some reason.

I suspect another complaint to EDF is what is needed. The challenge is, even with the new information you now have, the contact centre agents won't understand a word of it, and getting to someone who will (or wants to) understand it takes a lot of time and effort (I've had issues with EDF). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback