We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Why I ( and others ? ) don’t switch.

Options
13»

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I use yahoo mail as my junk email address, and I use gmail for important stuff and rarely share it. Both are free and don't tie me to any ISP. Got stung when I was with Tiscali, and not done it since. You need to plan ahead if you are changing email though - takes a while to get all the business and personal contacts changed.

In terms of your original post, not switching or at least renegotiating every time your contract is up is just bonkers. We've been with at least 10 different providers over the last 20 years. We've been with Virgin for a few years as we have cable and like the high speeds, but even then we will always try to get more for the same price, or the same for a lower price. When we renewed our contract in March, we were told it would be £140 a month as we were coming off a deal, they offered £120 a month as best price, we gave notice to them, and then they came back at £70 a month which is less than we paid last year. If the hadn't we'd have switched to Sky probably.

£60 a month is a lot for just BB and phone, is there more? We get 500mb BB, anytime calls, Sky Sports HD, Sky Movies HD, free Netflix, and 2 Tivo boxes for £70 a month, and I don't think our deal is exactly fantastic.

We've been on a VOIP type phone a few years and has made zero difference. Virgin do supply an emergency phone that works in a power cut if you need one, but we've both got mobiles, so never saw the need. Other than the very rare potential power cut issue, there is no noticeable difference with a voip phone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure