Can't get a refund for in app purchasesHELP

Options
TangoBunny
TangoBunny Posts: 694 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Firstly I hope I'm posting  this in the correct place and someone can help me. My 4 year old grandson  had made unauthorised in app purchases from a downloaded game via Google Play. Un-known to me he managed to toggle off aeroplane mode and has racked up almost £400.Unfortunately I didn't notice the payments had gone out of my bank until over a week later. Google don't want to know and the app developer say I agreed to their no refund policy when I downloaded the app, which I'm not even sure I did as it's so easy for kids to download and install apps these days at the click of a button. He obviously didn't know what he was clicking on when he made these purchases as he's not used any of the packages he's mistakenly bought. My Google account is linked to a debit card not a credit card so I doubt I can claim it back from my bank. Please tell me there is something I can do.

:hello: LORRAINE :hello:

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April at 9:13PM
    Options
    Do you not need a password to download apps? I think the first thing you need to do is to check your security settings for in app purchases for future references. 

Unfortunately, I think Google play have a 48 hour refund policy for these circumstances. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's dangerous letting kids near your phone.  There's in-app purchases, paid-for apps, premium-rate calls and text message services...and there are likely other things that can be charged to your Google account.

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    although there is no obligation to have a card linked to your Google account if you use Google Pay on your phone then one of the terms is that the card then becomes linked to your Google account for payments

that is one reason why I use Samsung pay
  • CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 96 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April at 9:46PM
    Options
    If you left a pile of cash on the table and the grandson took it and bought loads of Panini stickers would you immediately expect the shop to refund you?
    If no, why do you think Google, credit card or bank should refund you because you let someone have free access to your Google Account?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,971 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to look at the settings on your phone to prevent it happening again. As an iPhone user you can require all payments to require authorisation or require the first purchase to have authorisation and that then stays active for X minutes. I am sure Android will have similar settings so you can purchase something for them and give the phone back knowing they cannot purchase anything else without your code/finger/face.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don’t see how it’s possible. Android will ask you to confirm each purchase with password/fingerprint etc. 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     This is why I haven't setup a card on my son's phone.
     If he wants to make a purchase, Roblox etc I have to input card details manually and click the button not to save card details 
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PHK said:
    I don’t see how it’s possible. Android will ask you to confirm each purchase with password/fingerprint etc. 
    That has never happened on my phone. Google play is a tap of a button and payment gets taken.

Never been asked for a password. Perhaps it's something you set up setup if as a user you don't know it's a feature then ....

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May at 8:44AM
    Options
    Although hindsight is a wonderful thing, it’s not a lot of help to the OP at the moment.

Other than trying to work out exactly exactly what happened and how to highlight any gaps in systems, I’m not aware of any mechanism, for getting the money back other than appealing to goodwill. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also wondering where the child’s parents fit into all of this and whether they would be willing to reimburse some of the money themselves? Because if I were them, I would feel some responsibility. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 47 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TBH I think you'll have to rely on the goodwill of Google as 48 hours have passed. You could maybe try for a partial refund.

Contact Us - Google Play Help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure