AA Parts & Garage cover - at the end of my tether

Options
I do hope this forum might help. I'll try and bullet point the issue:
  • I have held Parts & Garage cover for 4 years with the AA for 2 vehicles
  • Last year I sold the van that was covered and bought a newer one
  • Once I had sold the old one I tried to change the details on the AA breakdown app but it told me I had to call to do so - so I did
  • Over the weekend my new van wouldn't start so AA came out and told me probably the alternator - I asked if that was covered on the policy and was told that it should be....BUT ... according to their system the new van wasn't covered...
  • I have screen shots of the new van on the app showing it was covered - this couldn't have happened unless someone on the AA membership side had done it
  • I spent the best part of 9 hours on and off to different parts of the AA to be told that the call I made "couldn't be found"
  • One of the membership team admitted to me that the only way the car could have shown up would be if one of their team had put it there
  • After hours of calls, the claims team told me that they would waive the 14 days exclusion if I got the vans changed by the membership team BUT that they required the V5 and a V888 to "prove" that I had sold the van despite my explaining that I clearly had cover on the new one.
  • A V888 can take up to 4 weeks to come back (and costs me £5 to boot)
  • We need the van for work
  • I have now had to take the van to a garage to start diagnosis and repair but have been told that there is no guarantee they will honour the claim at the AA
  • I have raised a complaint, but that was through the claims team and I am informed it can take up to 5 days for acknowledgement and up to a further 8 weeks for investigation
  • It seems utterly senseless to me that there is no one to talk to at a more senior level who can take a holistic/sense-based approach and that I simply get told nothing can be done
Am I being too entitled here? I did everything I was supposed to and am just hitting a brick wall.

Comments

• onjon
    onjon Posts: 8 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating and complicated situation, and it's completely understandable that you're feeling frustrated and seeking resolution. Let's break down your concerns:

1. Policy Change Issue: It appears there was a disconnect between your attempts to update your policy details and the actual changes being made by the AA membership team. The fact that your new van appeared on the app indicates that someone on their end made the update.

2. Claims Process: The requirement for additional documentation (V5 and V888) to prove the sale of your old van seems unnecessary given the evidence of coverage for your new van. Additionally, the long processing times for complaints and investigations only add to the frustration, especially when you need the van for work.

3. Lack of Senior-level Assistance: It's frustrating when there's no avenue for escalating your concerns to someone who can take a broader view of the situation and expedite a resolution.

You're not being entitled; you're rightly frustrated by what seems like a series of errors and delays on the part of the AA. It's important to continue documenting everything, including your communications with them and any evidence you have of your attempts to update your policy.

Here's what you can do:

1. Continue Pursuing Your Complaint: Follow up on your complaint regularly. While it's unfortunate that it may take time for them to acknowledge and investigate, consistent communication may help expedite the process.

2. Seek Senior-level Assistance: If possible, try to escalate your concerns to a higher authority within the AA. You can express the urgency of your situation and the need for a swift resolution.

3. Consider Seeking Legal Advice: If you feel that the AA is not handling your case fairly or adequately, you may want to seek legal advice. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and options for recourse.

4. Explore Alternative Breakdown Coverage: While dealing with the AA, it might be worthwhile to explore other breakdown coverage options in case this issue persists or if you're dissatisfied with the resolution.

Remember to stay persistent and advocate for yourself. Your frustration is valid, and you deserve a satisfactory resolution to this situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback