Please help with Lebara/Redmi 10c/Virginmedia home broadband issue

Options
melb
melb Posts: 2,880 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
hi there I bought a Redmi 10C phone about a year ago and moved from EE to Lebara a few months ago.  As stated above our home internet provider is Virginmedia.

My phone has always taken an age to load anything but was just about bearable but since I moved to Lebara it times out virtually every time I try to load anything on google.  My partner who is also with Lebara but has a different android phone also has the same problem but not as often.  I find I am having to use data in the home and even that is not always working.

My laptop is like lightening and we have probably the top speed from Virginmedia.  I have looked on my phone to see if I can find the problem but honestly don't know what I am looking for.

My years old Huawei (which has no sim in but I use for home wifi) connects to the wifi just as quick as the laptop.

Please can someone suggest what i can try as don't know where to start.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some versions of the Redmi only have 3GB of Ram and if yours is one of those then that could be the cause of your loading issues. 

You should concentrate on sorting out the connection to your Virgin Wi-Fi as it sounds like your settings aren't correct. I think your Lebara issue is separate to this. If possible, remove your sim card and try to sort out the WiFi issue separately. 

As a last resort, back everything up and reset your phone to factory settings. Remember to backup WhatsApp before you do this. 
  • melb
    Options
    it says I have 4 + 1GB of RAM.  It just seems when I am trying to open a new tab on google that nothing happens for ages and then it asks if I want to reload.  Thanks for advice.  I don't know what you mean about sorting out settings on wifi but I do know that all other devices work fine . thanks again
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds as if you have, as suggested, two separate issues.

Does your partner have issues connecting to the home Wifi?

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How does your phone perform when using mobile data? Or a different WiFi network?
  • melb
    Options
    sorry for late reply and thank you for your further comments.  Yes my partner has the same problems.  It shows as connected to wifi but is very slow to load anything if at all.  Sometimes both phones just disconnect from the wifi.

Both phones work fine with data.  I was emailing earlier today on home wifi and suddenly an email wouldn't send.  I turned off wifi and turned on data and it sent immediately
  • melb
    Options
    I have removed the sim and it hasn't made any difference. I have looked at my wifi settings on the phone and can't see anything amiss but not sure what I'm looking for tbh
  • reddwarf2002
    reddwarf2002 Posts: 575 Forumite
    edited 1 May at 8:44PM
    Options
    If you have an older Hub, it may be worth replacing it as sometimes it can have issues with certain devices. What phone does your wife use?

Also Google "separating 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on virgin media hub" and see if doing that helps. This can be a bit fiddly as you'd need to set up WiFi password again on every device.

Edit: Also try disabling Smart Wi-Fi - "Disable Channel Optimization" in settings.
  • melb
    Options
    thanks my partner has a Motorola G something or other about 3 years old

• liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stupid question how much storage does your phone have because for some reason if your phone say is 16gb and you have below 1gb phone starts misbehaving like it slows down and stuff and apps start to not work
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback