Restock charge when sending back item

Options
mattastic
mattastic Posts: 99 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 April at 11:59AM in Consumer rights
I have just had a new bathroom fitted, we do not need the tap that we originally bought. I have spoke to the shop and they said there will be a £25 restocking penalty to send it back. Is there anyway I can send it back without having to pay the penalty. Could I send it back to the stockist without going through the shop (middleman)? What do you think? Thankyou

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mattastic said:
    I have just had a new bathroom fitted, we do not need the tap that we originally bought. I have spoke to the shop and they said there will be a £25 restocking penalty to send it back. Is there anyway I can send it back without having to pay the penalty. Could I send it back to the stockist without going through the shop (middleman)? What do you think? Thankyou
    The stockist isn't going to refund you because they don't have your money.  The shop has it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    Options
    mattastic said:
    Who ordered it (you or fitter) & where from?
    Who is the shop?
    In person or online?
    Life in the slow lane
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Options
    Was this purchased from a nominally trade only supplier via your plumber/fitter and you just paid the bill?
  • mattastic
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Its a bathroom shop/ unit, we went and got the items ordered, our plumber then picked up the items and installed it for us. We paid half when we first ordered and then the other half when the plumber picked up the items. Thouht I would ask for advice because I've never heard of a restock charge before.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    mattastic said:
    Thanks for the replies. Its a bathroom shop/ unit, we went and got the items ordered, our plumber then picked up the items and installed it for us. We paid half when we first ordered and then the other half when the plumber picked up the items. Thouht I would ask for advice because I've never heard of a restock charge before.
    It sounds like the lines between a consumer and trade sale are a little blurred.  Did you order on the plumber's account?  If so, that's presumably why there's a restocking charge because it's a B2B sale rather than a consumer one.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you bought it in the shop and you now don’t want it, legally  the shop don’t need to take it back at all. A restocking fee is not unknown when selling to businesses.
  • mattastic
    Options
    mattastic said:
    It sounds like the lines between a consumer and trade sale are a little blurred.  Did you order on the plumber's account?  If so, that's presumably why there's a restocking charge because it's a B2B sale rather than a consumer one.
    No, I paid for it on my debit card, my plumber just collected the items.
  • mattastic
    edited 30 April at 12:44PM
    Options
    comeandgo said:
    If you bought it in the shop and you now don’t want it, legally  the shop don’t need to take it back at all. A restocking fee is not unknown when selling to businesses.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a business though, when you buy something I always thought you had 28 days to return it. 
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    mattastic said:
    mattastic said:
    No, I paid for it on my debit card, my plumber just collected the items.
    Ok, thanks.  Well, as pointed out above, you don't have a statutory right to a change-of-mind return anyway, so unless their policy is to offer them, they are entitled to refuse a return or charge for one.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    mattastic said:
    comeandgo said:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a business though, when you buy something I always thought you had 28 days to return it. 
    No.  Only if the retailer's policy offers it.

I think what comeandgo meant is that because the majority of their custom is B2B, they haven't bothered offering a B2C returns policy, so they've just applied their business policy to all sales.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback