PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Scaffolding on Right of Way

Options

Comments

• bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    dottiec said:
    It is a conservation area and the entrance is very tight onto a very busy main road with buses, cars parked etc.  The pavement on the main road is quite narrow and is used by members of the public, schoolchildren and parents etc.  This is why I am wondering whether I should get advice from HSE/Environmental Health.  The builder does not seem to have done a risk assessment.
    Now this is getting more confusing. What does the pavement on the main road have to do with this???

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,094 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ProDave said:
    You need to measure the widest vehicle of any of the residents, at the widest point, probably outside of one wing mirror to the outside of the other.  then add say half a metre.  Tell them that is the width you need maintained at all times.  Also measure the height of the tallest vehicle.

There is a way to do this, a single row of scaffold poles tight to the buildings either side, not encroaching on the width very much, and bridged by a lattice truss (hence why they need to know the height clearance they need to keep clear).  Then they can build up normal scaffold from that.

Give them that information and make it the scaffolders problem how to achieve that.
    Personally, I’d want there to be room for the width of a fire engine rather than a resident’s widest vehicle.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ProDave said:

Give them that information and make it the scaffolders problem how to achieve that.
    Be careful what you wish for, could end up with temporary set of traffic lights and generator running 24/7 to comply with NRSWA
  • bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    silvercar said:
    Personally, I’d want there to be room for the width of a fire engine rather than a resident’s widest vehicle.

There should be a minimum carriageway width of 3.7 m between kerbs;
    A 3.7 m carriageway (kerb to kerb) is required for operating space at the scene of a fire. Simply to reach a fire, the access route could be reduced to 2.75 m over short distances, provided the pump appliance can get to within 45 m of dwelling entrances;

• dottiec
    dottiec Posts: 56 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "You need to measure the widest vehicle of any of the residents, at the widest point, probably outside of one wing mirror to the outside of the other.  then add say half a metre.  Tell them that is the width you need maintained at all times.  Also measure the height of the tallest vehicle."

Your response is so helpful for me.  I have already measured my neighbour's RR Evoque on line (2100 inc mirrors) which leaves less than 1 m spare.  Their other vehicle a Mitshibushi pickup I think is wider.   I will research the mode of scaffolding you have mentioned - this is great information for me.
  • dottiec
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    dottiec said:
    It is a conservation area and the entrance is very tight onto a very busy main road with buses, cars parked etc.  The pavement on the main road is quite narrow and is used by members of the public, schoolchildren and parents etc.  This is why I am wondering whether I should get advice from HSE/Environmental Health.  The builder does not seem to have done a risk assessment.
    Now this is getting more confusing. What does the pavement on the main road have to do with this???

Just trying to show how congested it is around our entrance.  One gable end of the building being renovated sits on the narrow pavement which adjoins a very busy main road with buses, parking etc.  Coming into our entrance takes careful negotiation, as does going out.  Narrowing the entrance could be quite hazardous.
  • dottiec
    Options
    Section62 said:
    dottiec said:

(This is where the problem lies as the builder wants to put up scaffolding along the side of the building sitting on the private road/right of way to work on the roof).

The way you describe the situation it sounds like the builder wants to put up a normal scaffold on the side of the access road they will be working on.  Have they looked at putting up a bridging scaffold - one which is supported on both sides of the road and has a working platform at the higher level? A bridging scaffold involves a loss of usable width on both sides, but wouldn't require vertical poles (known as 'standards') placed in the middle of the road.

A picture probably would help us understand the situation better.

HSE would only be interested if there were unsafe working practices going on, and possibly not until someone had an accident.  It doesn't mean there is no point reporting an unsafe situation though.  A key element of safe working is planning - if the builder hasn't planned their access/working at height arrangements before starting work then there may be other issues as well.

As a general point, scaffolding used where there is moving traffic is vulnerable to being hit by that traffic, which could have tragic consequences for those working on the scaffold.  So a properly designed scaffold should already be taking into account the access road is in use by vehicles and if the access is tight, also taking into account the possibility it may get hit and damaged.

The neighbour may be able to use the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 to be able to make use of the land you own to do work, but it is questionable whether an access order would allow them to block the access road other than on a short-term temporary basis.  Requiring them to obtain an access order may carry other benefits - for example compelling them to indemnify you against damage to the land (and otherwise). If the property is commercial rather than residential you may also have additional rights.  If you think the 'legal' route may be preferable you should speak to a solicitor to get formal professional advice on the right approach to take.
    Thank you so much for the time and trouble you have taken to respond.  I have copied this and Pro Dave's comment which I will study and work on before speaking to the builder.  The builder can access the other side of the roof from his neighbour's property and I suggested to him that it might be helpful to get their permission to put scaffolding in their parking area and look at that side of the roof first to assess just how much work needs doing.  Doing this would not cause disruption to anyone and if the roof turns out to be worse than expected we would at least know this before scaffolding is erected on our road.  Of course, he dismissed this saying it all needed doing at once, and presumably thinking that because I'm an old woman, what do I know!!!

I'm really grateful for your help.
  • dottiec
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    silvercar said:

There should be a minimum carriageway width of 3.7 m between kerbs;
    A 3.7 m carriageway (kerb to kerb) is required for operating space at the scene of a fire. Simply to reach a fire, the access route could be reduced to 2.75 m over short distances, provided the pump appliance can get to within 45 m of dwelling entrances;

Thank you and I agree.  The Fire Officer agreed the width of the entrance when we applied for planning permission to build the other houses on the site, but ONLY JUST.  
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bobster2 said:
    dottiec said:

If the access road is already restricted and there's a crossing with a narrow footpath on the main road then there needs to be consideration of how narrowing or adjusting the access might impact on visibility between drivers and pedestrians using the footway.

If the footway were wide then barriers could be used on the footway to move the pedestrian route away from the frontage to improve visibility.
  • dottiec
    Options
    Section62 said:
    bobster2 said:
    dottiec said:

If the access road is already restricted and there's a crossing with a narrow footpath on the main road then there needs to be consideration of how narrowing or adjusting the access might impact on visibility between drivers and pedestrians using the footway.

If the footway were wide then barriers could be used on the footway to move the pedestrian route away from the frontage to improve visibility.
    Yes, this is the case.  I am wondering whether I should get advice from Environmental Health or Highways even.  As you can see I am very worried but am dealing with this on my own. I asked the neighbour with the RR to have a word with the builder for reassurance about still being able to use the entrance/exit and he has come back to me having "bumped" into the builder (prob in the pub) who he says has said. 
    "He says that the scaffolding will only be a small/narrow set up that won't restrict vehicular access  and should anything change then he would give us the heads up anyway. "
    No discussion about width of cars, width of scaffolding etc etc.  I can just see them having a laugh at my expense as I've always been "particular" about safety and for some reason they just can't see it.  "All lads together" and all that!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback