CASH ISA to CASH STOCKS AND SHARES

Options
I was planning to invest my savings into Stocks and Shares ISA and while I am deciding, will there be any harm in putting the cash into a cash ISA and later transfer it into a Stocks and Shares ISA? I wanted to know whether most Stocks and Shares ISA will accept the transfer, please?

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There would be no harm, and most S&S ISAs will accept transfers in from cash ISAs. Or you could use a taxable savings account if you just need a short time to decide what to invest in. Or you could invest in a short term money market fund within a S&S ISA while deciding what to do longer term.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another alternative would to just pay into a S&S ISA and leave it as cash until you decide.
    You will get some interest, ( the amount varies from provider to provider) but will be a bit less than in a cash ISA.
    However if you are only talking about a few weeks delay the difference will be small.

If you have decided you want to invest, then usually best just to go for it, rather than hanging about. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MQA said:
    I was planning to invest my savings into Stocks and Shares ISA...
    You don't say how much of your savings, but it's always prudent to ensure that you have enough in readily-accessible cash form rather than everything being committed to investments whose values fluctuate in both directions.
  • MQA
    MQA Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker I have sufficient emergency funds as  backup (now ready to take some risks with the 'spare' savings to hopefully make some profit.
  • MQA
    Options
    Another alternative would to just pay into a S&S ISA and leave it as cash until you decide.
    You will get some interest, ( the amount varies from provider to provider) but will be a bit less than in a cash ISA.
    However if you are only talking about a few weeks delay the difference will be small.

If you have decided you want to invest, then usually best just to go for it, rather than hanging about. 

As  I am not sure how to select funds etc so I will have to put in a savings account (ISA).where do diy'ers /some people start to learn about selecting / investing funds?magazines? online? seminars?  (ap
  • gabiieve
    gabiieve Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MQA said:

As  I am not sure how to select funds etc so I will have to put in a savings account (ISA).where do diy'ers /some people start to learn about selecting / investing funds?magazines? online? seminars?  (ap
    Before choosing funds, I read the book Smarter Investing by Tim Hale. It explains things so well, and gives you enough information so you can make your own decisions.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MQA said:

Reading the main MSE Savings and Investments forum regularly can be useful.
    There are some good YouTube videos ( but be careful of the source).
    As you are starting out just one fund should be OK to start with. Either 
    A 100% equity global index fund, that tracks global stock markets around the world. Good for long term ( > 10 years)  investing, and for those willing to tolerate the short/medium term volatility.
    For those without such a strong stomach, the volatility ( and probably some of the long term growth) can be diluted by using a low cost multi asset fund, which will be a mainly a mixture of equity and bonds. a 60/40 split is the classic medium risk investment.
    How to invest in a stocks and shares Isa: The quick and easy guide | This is Money
  • MQA
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    MQA said:
    I was planning to invest my savings into Stocks and Shares ISA...
    You don't say how much of your savings, but it's always prudent to ensure that you have enough in readily-accessible cash form rather than everything being committed to investments whose values fluctuate in both directions.

Appreciate all the posts and it seems all my 'investements' including my pension,  in the last 10 - 20 years, have a 5% return. I have left them literally as they are.   I am now still thinking  whether I should sell and buy something else as the unit value is lower but I am hesistant as I do not know what to buy (I think I will the ones that have lost value - I will compare their unit price from the first purchase date to today's value  (this will be done manually) and then next step is to work out, what and how to buy. Have I miss anything and are these necesary steps as I am a beginner, please?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback