Inappropriate Tesco Coupons

Options
LizziePoppins
LizziePoppins Posts: 8 Forumite
First Post
edited 30 April at 9:12AM in Food shopping & groceries
Hi, I wondered if anyone else receives Club card coupons from Tesco that are totally inappropriate? For the second time I have received £18 off a £120 shop and 2 x £12 off a £120 shop, but as 2 people living on our pensions we can’t make use of them! I have asked them to send us more appropriate coupons but have had no luck at all!

Comments

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They're obviously trying to entice you to spend more in store with them....
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I thought that was the point - they know your shopping habits and try to incentivise you to spend more, or buy more higher-margin goods. I never expect to get vouchers from things we regularly buy anyway.

Once my husband and I were offered a voucher for 3p of fuel if we spent £10 more, as we struggled to cram our shopping into hiking rucksacks. Poor checkout person got asked whether they really thought that we could (a) carry any more, or (b) would be carrying it anyway if we owned a car.
  • J63320
    J63320 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve found that if Tesco send coupons like this and I don’t use them, then after a few weeks they’ll send some more with a lower threshold. If I don’t “bite” at that point, I’ll get more with ever-decreasing thresholds until they reach the level that will tempt me!
  • LizziePoppins
    LizziePoppins Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately this is the second time in a row we have received these coupons, we would need to spend £360 over 3 weeks for just 2 of us, it’s just totally inappropriate. If they were smaller we would use them and they would get our business, now it’s Aldi here we come!
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Me as well but mine are £10 of a £70 shop which is not too bad but to use them all you would have to spend the £70 for 3 consecutive weeks which I wouldnt do.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,345 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wondering how you get these Tescos coupons.  All I get are the quarterly (or whatever) clubcard money off ones with a few things like "25 points if you buy carrots".
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • pseudodox
    pseudodox Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am always being sent coupons for things I never have & never will buy.  If Tesco think they can entice me to buy something I don't want they are sadly mistaken.  My current "offer" is £6 off a £40 shop, valid for one week, then £4 off a £40 shop for each of the next 2 weeks.  As a single pensioner household I rarely spend over £30 in a week.  I will get that £6 discount by stocking up on loo rolls, tinned goods, rice, toothpaste.  But I don't have limitless cupboard space nor do I want to shell out £120 over 3 weeks.

And this is the first offer I have had since 2023, & got very few coupons all last year.  I twice got a till coupon for something my local store does not stock.  So much for gathering my profile from Clubcard!
  • SuzeQStan
    SuzeQStan Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    We get coupons on the Tesco app and I agree with OP none of them are anything we would be able to use. I’ve stopped looking at them even though they send me emails asking me to look at the newest coupons
    Lancashire
    PV 5.04kWp 
    🐙 Go

Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback