Council Tax rebate due to deceased parent

Options
spackytart
spackytart Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 29 April at 3:55PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
Hi our mother passed away in 2018 and our father in 2021 leaving the house to my brother and I. We moved into the property and, after watching MSE’s program, successfully had the council tax band reduced plus a refund from the date of our father’s passing. I understand the previous owner would be due a refund too but that would be our father. As my brother and I were both executors of his estate and beneficiaries of his will, would the refund not be due to us? They moved here in 1961. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any reduction would be due to "the estate of dad", not directly to you. Of course, you will both be the beneficiaries of the estate of dad, but the bodies have different roles.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As @RAS has said any refund due to your late father would be paid to his estate. However be aware that some councils no longer keep CT payment records beyond 6 years, so that may be the limit for a refund. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback