Is this a scam? Credit Suisse ISA Maturity

Options
mazlester
mazlester Posts: 25 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 29 April at 2:41PM in ISAs & tax-free savings
My aunt had a man from dmsfieldcall Ltd call to say that he had been sent by Credit Suisse as she had an ISA that had matured and they hadn’t received any instruction for payment.  He said it had matured in 2012 and yet they had her telephone number already and no one had ever rang her.  She does remember having an ISA with Virgin but had cashed it in.  They gave her a letter headed credit suisse but it looks like a photocopy and it states she must ring within 48hrs which rings alarm bells to me.

I told her that I think it’s a scam especially after she only had 1 ISA and had cashed it in.  

Has anyone else had this company contact them and am I right in believing it’s a scam?  😡 

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's an obvious scam. Credit Suisse to my knowledge have never offered ISAs, don't cold call and don't use high pressure sales tactics
    Tell your aunt to dismiss this out of hand, block the number and maybe report it to Action Fraud if she likes
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    DMS Fieldcall are a debt collection agency (says Google). Got any Id from this caller? Contact Fieldcall to see if legit.

Credit Suisse don't really operate in the general retail sector, unless your Aunt has ever used them for private banking or wealth management it's unlikely she would have outstanding ISA products.

Actually, CS don't really operate anywhere anymore - went bust a couple of years ago and taken over by UBS who are still using the name.
  • mazlester
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    It's an obvious scam. Credit Suisse to my knowledge have never offered ISAs, don't cold call and don't use high pressure sales tactics
    Tell your aunt to dismiss this out of hand, block the number and maybe report it to Action Fraud if she likes
    Thanks, there were so many red flags about it but thought I’d post just incase someone else had been visited.  I’ll email action fraud now thanks for the link 👍
  • mazlester
    Options
    DMS Fieldcall are a debt collection agency (says Google). Got any Id from this caller? Contact Fieldcall to see if legit.

Credit Suisse don't really operate in the general retail sector, unless your Aunt has ever used them for private banking or wealth management it's unlikely she would have outstanding ISA products.

Actually, CS don't really operate anywhere anymore - went bust a couple of years ago and taken over by UBS who are still using the name.
    Yes I did Google and it says it’s a data capture company which got me suspicious.  I rang them up and even the call handling sounded really dodgy.  I do have info about the guy from DMS so will contact them to check he is actually employed by them.  I rang him back in the number given telling him not to call it ring and he said ‘I can assure you it’s not a scam’!  🤔🤔🤔
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dmsfieldcall Ltd is regulated by the FCA.   They hold no regulatory permissions to provide advice on investments or any service on regulated investments.

I suspect its a clone scam and that it wasn't the real dmsfieldcall Ltd that contacted her.   It was a scammer pretending to be from them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,697 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mazlester said:

I rang him back in the number given telling him not to call it ring and he said ‘I can assure you it’s not a scam’!  🤔🤔🤔
    So it's 100% a scam then! Scammers pick a company and use that name to pretend to be working for them
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 April at 4:32PM
    Options
    mazlester said:

I rang him back in the number given telling him not to call it ring and he said ‘I can assure you it’s not a scam’!  🤔🤔🤔
    So Mandy Rice-Davies Applies :)
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    mazlester said:

Yes I did Google and it says it’s a data capture company which got me suspicious.  I rang them up and even the call handling sounded really dodgy.  I do have info about the guy from DMS so will contact them to check he is actually employed by them.  I rang him back in the number given telling him not to call it ring and he said ‘I can assure you it’s not a scam’!  🤔🤔🤔
    I wouldn't get into a discussion with them. It appears you still believe there's a chance this is genuine, which is exactly what the scammers want.

As others have said CS never really offered ISAs to the UK retail market. Even if they did, they would have been sending statements and other correspondence. And would have written themselves if trying to trace an account holder rather than getting a third party to call. 

Just ignore it, and tell your aunt to hang up if they call again. 

According to the Government's list of registered ISA providers:

Credit Suisse (UK) Limited

18th Floor
    1 Cabot Square
    London
    E14 4QJ

Reference: Z1272
    FCA reference: 124269
    Components offered: Stocks and Shares
    Organisational reference: 02009520

So if you really do believe there's an ISA with them, best to send them a letter. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure