IFA fees

Options
I was hoping to get my ISA stocks and shares, the proceeds from the sale of my properties reviewed and replan if necessary with the IFA ( financial planning and wealth
management business) I had used. Unfortunately, it had been bought by Company X. 

I would like to know
1. What are the annual returns for low, medium and high risks (as my investment have been on a (net) return of 5% per annum for last 10 years)

2. As I have no word of mouth, how would I know Company X's performance (as I cannot tell from their website or the internet (I washoping by searching their company name would find something relevant) 
My previous adviser (who had dealt with my investmens) will now be my intial contact,  if I want to speak to the adviser the fee  5% + VAT of the total of my valuation per annum, and additional charge for other services.

It will be helpful to know the return vs the fee, so I know what I will be working with. As the more I try to understand from searching the internet, the less clearer it seems. Appreciate your comments

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. What are the annual returns for low, medium and high risks (as my investment have been on a (net) return of 5% per annum for last 10 years)
    What is your definition of low medium and high?   Maybe give us the equity content?

2. As I have no word of mouth, how would I know Company X's performance (as I cannot tell from their website or the internet (I washoping by searching their company name would find something relevant) 
    If its an IFA, they have over 30,000 different investment options open to them with a near infinite number of combinations.     Advisory portfolios are not published as they are effectively bespoke.    If its a discretionary model portfolio then it will be published.

If its a FA rather than an IFA, then you shouldn't use them.

My previous adviser (who had dealt with my investmens) will now be my intial contact,  if I want to speak to the adviser the fee  5% + VAT of the total of my valuation per annum, and additional charge for other services.
    Advice charges are not VATable.   If you are being told there is VAT then it isn't a full advice service.
    It wont be 5% pa.. either (more like 0.5% typically but could get up to 1% with small values)

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MQA
    MQA Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

- I think it was a medium risk investment, making approx 5 % return (net), when covid hit, the value was down by 20% for 3 years but slowly returning but still 10% lower, than pre Covid.

- These are all stock and shares ISA.
    My previous IFA had signed me on the Aegon platform (VAT).  I am being offered to carry on with the Aegon platform (IFA fee plus VAT).
    or offering me to use their own platform (IFA Fee without VAT), hence, I want to find out their performance.

- Spot on (about the percentage). corrected version:
    =================
    INITIAL FEES:
    =================
    We charge the same level of initial fees across all three service levels. Our typical initial fees are as follows:
    Investment Amount
    £1 to £500,000
    intital fee: 2%
    Example:
    if you invested £500,000 you could pay £10,000
    (£500,000 x 1%) = £10,000

=================
    ONGOING FEES:
    =================
    Service  Level 1 :
    an ongoing  fee of !% per annum
    An example:
    If you have £250,000 invested with us, you could expect to pay an ongoing fee of £2,500. (For values in excess of £1,000,000 the charge is 0.75% pa)

Service  Level 2:
    an ongoing  fee of !% per annum plus VAT
    An example
    If you have £500,000 invested with us, you could expect to pay an ongoing fee of £5,000 plus VAT. 0.75% pa on excess of investments over £1 million. If your average value was £3,750,000, you would pay £30,625 plus VAT.

Please let me know if you need more information.

• MQA
    Options
    Good to hear your thoughts. I was a bit surprised with their fees.

I am now thinking whether I can DIY? as finding an excellent IFA is not easy.. I need to know where to start), as the funds have  more a less stayed the same (some had been closed so the FM moved them to another). What is the expected return as so far it has been average about 5%?

Aegon is not ideal - also need to learn how to master the systems and about funds
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MQA said:
    Good to hear your thoughts. I was a bit surprised with their fees.

I am now thinking whether I can DIY? as finding an excellent IFA is not easy.. I need to know where to start), as the funds have  more a less stayed the same (some had been closed so the FM moved them to another). What is the expected return as so far it has been average about 5%?

Aegon is not ideal - also need to learn how to master the systems and about funds
    The classic medium risk portfolio fund is 60% equities and 40% bonds .
    Had a look at a couple of well known simple funds like this and from Jan1st 2020 ( just pre covid) they have grown about 17 to 20% . So about 5% pa .
  • MQA
    Options
    My SS ISA returns was around 8% (net) prior to Covid (5%), I am wondering when do people diecide to sell and buy new funds??  as the valuation is over 5% and I am starting to pick funds myself.
  • MQA
    Options
    @ dunstonh  I am not sure what 'equity content' means ? All my SS ISA are in fund, do you mean what market or industry?

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why would you sell and buy new funds? I won't be selling anything until and if my circumstances and needs change
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    MQA said:
    @ dunstonh  I am not sure what 'equity content' means ? All my SS ISA are in fund, do you mean what market or industry?

Which funds? What % of the fund is invested in equities?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MQA said:
    My SS ISA returns was around 8% (net) prior to Covid (5%), I am wondering when do people diecide to sell and buy new funds??  as the valuation is over 5% and I am starting to pick funds myself.
    People should consider switching funds only if/when doing so aligns their investments more accurately with their objectives, strategy, etc, rather than simply reacting to past performance in isolation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback