Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Gift aid help

Options
RedPen
RedPen Posts: 26 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I want to participate in gift aid. What do I need to record throughout the year to be able to fill in the relevant sections in my self assessment tax return?

PS: I hope this is the correct board for this Q.

Comments

• mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I just keep a note of the date, who to and the amount of donation. Total the amount at the end of the tax year and put in the relevant box on SA form when you are completing it. Keep the details for six years. There are rules around the amounts dependent upon how much tax you pay. Unless you're making sizeable donations and pay minimal tax you probably don't need to worry. Otherwise google 'Gift Aid HMRC rules'.  
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you a higher rate tax payer? While it's a good idea to keep your own records, it's only going to make a difference to your tax affairs if you are (because you can reclaim some tax back) - and obviously you need to ensure that your generosity is not exceeding the amount of (mostly) income tax you pay. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to sign up to Gift AId with the relevant charity.

Keep a record of how much you donate and ensure you have paid enough tax to cover the tax relief on the donation that the charity claim  from HMRC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback