S&S LISA worth it?

Options
rigby44
rigby44 Posts: 42 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all,

I’ve had a look through the forum and still can’t decide if a stocks and shares LISA is a good option for myself.

This year I could put £16k into my cash ISA and the remaining £4k into a S&S LISA, which the government will add £1k. I could expect maybe 7-8% annual growth with a ‘balanced’ portfolio.

I would hope to be able to add the £4k each year from now (aged 36) until the paying in cut off of 50. That would mean an accessible pot of £75k plus any growth at 60 years of age.

I am a lower rate tax payer and pay into a workplace pension, which I think won’t be worth much at all.

Comments

• FIREmenow
    FIREmenow Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I believe the maths is that a LISA beats putting it into a personal pension if you are a basic tax payer. 

Is your workplace pension defined benefit or defined contribution? 

Good to be aware that you will be able to access a defined contribution pension at 57 (as it stands) but will have to wait until 60 to access the LISA (as it stands) or withdraw it early with a penalty. Age 60 is fine if you build it into your planning. 

Depending on the conditions of your workplace pension, your employer might match it if you put some extra in up to a certain point, so that is also worth considering. 

Also, you don't have to do one or the other, you could put some extra into your pension and some into your LISA.

We are planning to retire early and have mainly defined benefit workplace pensions that will be actuarially reduced if we take them early, so the LISAs are good for bridging the gap from 60 to our pension normal retirement ages. 
  • FIREmenow
    FIREmenow Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to add, pros and cons are explained here: 
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-isas/#retirement
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,570 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    S&S LISA worth it?
    in the right circumstances, yes.

I am a lower rate tax payer and pay into a workplace pension, which I think won’t be worth much at all.
    LISA and pensions can share the same investments at the same cost.  So, the only differences are taxation and how much you pay in.     In your case, pension will beat LISA up to matched/maximum employer contribution on the pension but then it will be LISA after that.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • rigby44
    Options
    FIREmenow said:
    I believe the maths is that a LISA beats putting it into a personal pension if you are a basic tax payer. 

Good to be aware that you will be able to access a defined contribution pension at 57 (as it stands) but will have to wait until 60 to access the LISA (as it stands) or withdraw it early with a penalty. Age 60 is fine if you build it into your planning. 

Depending on the conditions of your workplace pension, your employer might match it if you put some extra in up to a certain point, so that is also worth considering. 

Also, you don't have to do one or the other, you could put some extra into your pension and some into your LISA.

We are planning to retire early and have mainly defined benefit workplace pensions that will be actuarially reduced if we take them early, so the LISAs are good for bridging the gap from 60 to our pension normal retirement ages. 

Appreciate that. The workplace pension is defined contribution. I pay in £100 per month and my employer £75.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,660 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    is that the max you can get from your employer? If you put in more, would they also put in more? If not then @dunstonh's post indicates that a LISA becomes the better choice after that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rigby44
    Options
    MallyGirl said:
    is that the max you can get from your employer? If you put in more, would they also put in more? If not then @dunstonh's post indicates that a LISA becomes the better choice after that.
    Yer they only pay the minimum. LISA it is.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rigby44 said:
    rigby44 said:
    FIREmenow said:

The workplace pension is defined contribution. I pay in £100 per month and my employer £75.
    Your second statement explains the first.  If you want it to be worth more you need to pay more in.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback