Cancelling Sky TV & Sky Box Insurance

Options
I need to cancel a relative's Sky TV and related Box insurance with 'Digital Services' as she moves into care, we have Power of Attorney over the relative which both companies have seen and acknowledged.

As I've never had Sky TV myself, can anyone tell me whether there may be any notice periods or contractual lock-ins; whether & how the Sky box itself will go back to them?  I'm assuming the Sky dish remains our property?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sky TV 31 days notice which technically can't end before the end contract date, though under the circumstances the latter bit may be flexible if still in contract, otherwise its just 31 days.

The dish is yours.

Re: the insurance, a very quick Google suggests it will run until the time its been paid for, so if you cancel you don't get a pro-rata refund.

SkyQ box, you need to return it.  Sky+HD, the box is yours.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They could still be in their minimum period (typically you sign up to an 18 month contract to get a discounted rate) and go onto a standard rate at the end if you don't enter into a new minimum term. That rolling contract typically has a 30 day cancellation clause.

As for hardware, it depends on what device. If it is a new Sky Q then these are rented and have to be sent back. If older Sky+ or Sky HD boxes (which may be likely if paying for insurance) then the boxes are owned once out of the original minimum period and do not have to be sent back, but possibly could be for re-cycling. The Sky dish does not as I understand it get sent back, but you can remove it from the building should you wish to once cancelled.
  • NorthernGuy
    NorthernGuy Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks both.  So it depends on whether she had Sky Q or an older Sky+ or Sky HD box, if Sky Q then it goes back, otherwise not.  Silly question, but how do I tell which she had?  She will not know.

The Digital Services Insurance is a monthly DD of £5.99.  Does that imply it can be cancelled at a month's notice, or is that a wrong assumption?
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Each type of box looks different so should be easy to tell and usually has it written on it.

Insurance wise you will need to contact them and check.
  • NorthernGuy
    NorthernGuy Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to update and for the benefit of anyone finding this thread in future, Sky's Accessibility team were really helpful.  As it was a case of going into care & Power of Attorney, they cancelled the contract immediately without any notice period and said they'd calculate back/refund whatever was due since the last DD went out.  It turns out it was a Sky Q box (yet to be determined why she was paying monthly insurance on it to another company) so as a rental it must go back to them.  They'll send a prepaid box and sounded pretty relaxed about when they get it back.  Nice to have some decent service for once.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback