First time van driver

Options
gcoopermax
gcoopermax Posts: 67 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
For a trip with extended family, I am thinking of hiring 9-seater Ford Tourneo. However, having never driven a van, I am a bit overwhelmed as to how different it would feel. I understand there may not be rear view mirror, the driver position is at a height so spatial awareness will be tricky. Also dimensions of the van are a lot larger, so I am not sure if there are special manoeuvres I need to do while turning (I have seen buses/trucks take slight left turns before moving to right etc). Am I overthinking this? 

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes you are overthinking this. It's just a big car. It won't accelerate as well as a car, or brake as well as a car or corner as well as a car but it will be fine if you don't try to be a boy racer in it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just remember it's a bit wider and longer than a regular car, take it slowly, and you'll get used to it in no time. Modern vans are not like vans of old. Gear change is normally nice and smooth, most have power steering and all mod cons.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree that you will find it easy to adjust. Base on my experience of hiring vans, the thing you will find most difficult is judging the length of the van when reversing. It would be sensible to have someone watch the back of the van as you are reversing. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For a trip with extended family, I am thinking of hiring 9-seater Ford Tourneo. However, having never driven a van, I am a bit overwhelmed as to how different it would feel. I understand there may not be rear view mirror, the driver position is at a height so spatial awareness will be tricky. Also dimensions of the van are a lot larger, so I am not sure if there are special manoeuvres I need to do while turning (I have seen buses/trucks take slight left turns before moving to right etc). Am I overthinking this? 

Some people drive cars poorly, if you are a good experienced driver you should be ok.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,570 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Roads will seem narrower, especially with parked cars, don't cut any corners as there is a lot of metal behind the driver, be careful of gate posts etc. Understand speed limits.  9+ seats have lower limits.

Also know the width for any temporary width restrictions in roadworks and height for height barriers.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And be careful going into multi-storey car parks....
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Have a little go on your own before loading it up with the family just to get used to it. 20 mins or so and it will be like you have had one forever..
    Take it easy.
  • Alanp
    Alanp Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And remember, speed limits are different in a van
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 359 Forumite
    edited 28 April at 10:06AM
    Options
    It certainly will have rear-view mirrors. At least two of them, one on each door. Use them...

Assuming it's an L1 Tourneo Custom, it's 4.9m long, and 1.9m wide. That's only 50mm wider than a Mondeo, and 50mm longer. You wouldn't be scared of a Mondeo, would you?

The only real differences are the height of the driving position - which makes your view better - and the wheelbase... Even that's just 250mm longer than that Mondeo.

So, yes, get into the habit of keeping an eye on the LH door mirror when turning sharp left, because the inside of the wheelbase will cut a bit tighter. But don't worry too much.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Alanp said:
    And remember, speed limits are different in a van
    A Tourneo Custom will be M1 type approved, and the same speed limits as a car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback