Switching at end of Contract - 30 days notice

Options
Hi all, my contract with Shell Energy Broadband expires on 12th June, but in the contract it says that even after the minimum period I must give 30 days notice to cancel. Does this mean I'm tied in to the higher charge for at least 1 month after starting a switch to a new supplier? or is it possble to give them 30 days notice 30 days before the contract ends and arrange a switch for that date or veyr soon thereafter?

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the minimum term were 12 months and then a 30 days notice that’s a 13 month minimum term , most providers can’t stop you serving notice in the last month , so that the last month is also the 30 day notice, however what are you intending to do ? , if you are switching to a new provider on the same network, you don’t service notice , the new provider does 
  • JohnTheSkier
    JohnTheSkier Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    iniltous said:
    If the minimum term were 12 months and then a 30 days notice that’s a 13 month minimum term , most providers can’t stop you serving notice in the last month , so that the last month is also the 30 day notice, however what are you intending to do ? , if you are switching to a new provider on the same network, you don’t service notice , the new provider does 

Probably switch away unless I cna haggle the price down massively, as the payments look likely to increase by almost 60%. It's an 18 month minimum term, but even once the miminum term has ended they state a 30 day notice period. I guess to be fair, 1 month at the higher price isn't that much in the scheme of things if I have to, but it's still irritating that they can lock you in for a further 30 days from when you want to leave, and that I didn't pick this up at the start.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,223 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What's to stop you giving notice even now that you intend to switch?  Or wait until 12th (or 13th?) of May to tell them.  That will give them the 30 days and you can have your new contract elsewhere start on 13th June.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,633 Forumite
    Options
    iniltous said:

Probably switch away unless I cna haggle the price down massively, as the payments look likely to increase by almost 60%. It's an 18 month minimum term, but even once the miminum term has ended they state a 30 day notice period. I guess to be fair, 1 month at the higher price isn't that much in the scheme of things if I have to, but it's still irritating that they can lock you in for a further 30 days from when you want to leave, and that I didn't pick this up at the start.

If you are migrating to another ISP that uses the Openreach network (not Virgin) you do not give notice.  You sign up with the new ISP and they do everything for you including give notice.  Just sign up with the new ISP a week or so before your minimum term.  It takes about two weeks to switch.

The 30 day notice thing is if you are cancelling the service completely and not migrating to a new provider.
  • JohnTheSkier
    JohnTheSkier Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    wongataa said:
    iniltous said:

If you are migrating to another ISP that uses the Openreach network (not Virgin) you do not give notice.  You sign up with the new ISP and they do everything for you including give notice.  Just sign up with the new ISP a week or so before your minimum term.  It takes about two weeks to switch.

The 30 day notice thing is if you are cancelling the service completely and not migrating to a new provider.

Thanks, didn't appreciate that cancelling is treated differently from moving supplier.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback