PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants Rights

Options
Hi

Can any one advise on a rental issue I currently have.
A house I have rented for 15 years with the same tenant have been given a section 21 (I’m selling)
There is a glass lean to side of the property which has been confirmed as unsafe.  I want to remove so I’m not liable for anything, the tenant says this should be replaced as it was there when he moved in!!
I can’t afford to spend £4000-£6000 on something which is 30yrs old and beyond repair 

Legally what are the options 
Any advice would be great 

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IMHO tenant is correct, they've rented the whole place, that's what the contract says, that's what they are entitled to. That you as landlord have permitted this unsafe glass(!) ain't likely to impress any judge at an eviction hearing. 

In your shoes I'd offer a rent reduction in exchange for removing it. But don't bid too low then find tenant really p***ed off and digging heels in.  What's it used for??

Are you sure s21 is valid? see..
    https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/
    &
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/how_to_check_a_section_21_notice_is_valid

MANY s21s are invalid.

Artful: : Landlord since 2000

• CityRedAmber
    CityRedAmber Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lean to is used for storage, the odd plant.
    Its beyond repair so needs to come down.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Negotiate!
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you've correctly issued the section 21, and they leave, why not wait for them to leave and take it down the day after?

In the meantime, offer a genuine (generous) rent reduction to reflect the restriction on not using this area ongoing? (They have after all been your tenants for 15 years, and have no doubt helped you with your annual income for all that time?)

Definitely negotiate - but don't be too tight fisted.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It is going to take three months or more to get contractors on site to fit a new structure. If it needs planning permission, that could easily add another six months to the timescale.
    How long is it going to take for the S21 to process and the tenants leave.... A short term fix would be to remove the glass and replace with polycarbonate sheet. Nail a few lengths of 2x1 battens to any woodwork that is rotting away. Won't look pretty, but as a short term "repair", it won't cost £4-6K.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can start the Planning process, but leave the structure in place until the tenancy has ended.
    Then do whatever you like either
    * sell as is or
    * remove and then see.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You quite possibly don't need planning if you will be replacing like for like.  Are you in a conservation area or listed?  If so there could well be hoops to jump through.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lean to is used for storage, the odd plant.
    It’s beyond repair so needs to come down.
    I think I would offer to pay for a storage unit, then. 

As others have said, just try to agree something with the tenant, who can’t be at all happy about being asked to move out. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback