Son living in Spain NHS eligibility

Options
Hi, my 24 year old son has moved to Spain, he,s in a civil partnership with his girlfriend who is a spanish resident and he has just been granted residency about 3 months ago. Can anyone advise about his continuing eligibility to NHS healthcare/eligibility for spanish healthcare. I,m worried he may lose the NHS and also not be eligible there either. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Jackie1813
    Jackie1813 Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you do a search the answer comes up as the following:If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer automatically be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,786 Forumite
    edited 26 April at 7:50PM
    Options
    You have to be habitually resident in the UK to get free NHS treatment so he will not be entitled currently. Normally NHS staff tend though to target those with foreign accents not Brummie accents for query and so fraudulent use of the NHS by foreign living Brits is commonplace and in some ex pat communities even encouraged and assisted with documentation. He should notify his GP practice that he has moved abroad. I can't comment on Spanish entitlement to healthcare since we left the EU but the information should be widely available to him... also so should information on immigration status and entitlements to various aspects of life in Spain... probably he should look at the possibilities of naturalisation as a Spanish citizen if that conveys useful benefits.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The majority of Spanish people have private or semi-private medical insurance. He should ask his partner and/or their family for details and make the necessary arrangements.

NHS treatment (other than for emergencies) is residence-based, but if he were to return to the UK then establishing residence and registering with a GP should be quick and would restore is entitlement to NHS care.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter has lived there for 10 years. Public/free health  care appears to be minimal and like the NHS is overstretched 
    She and her husband have private health care as well as their 1 year old son. 
  • Jacklob
    Jacklob Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,647 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think your style of questioning has confused people... I think you are asking what his rights are to Spanish healthcare as an "ex pat" British citizen living in Spain? (I find it funny that we become ex-Pats but people here are immigrants) . You are probably best asking on a forum dedicated to those living in Spain

Or are you asking what his rights are if he returns to the UK for NHS treatment?
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    Options
    British people with residency in Spain and also live part of the year in UK, have access to Spanish public healthcare and NHS.

Although NHS is based on residency, British passport holders do return to UK from various countries to receive treatments. They most likely use relatives or friends addresses when completing any NHS forms.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 April at 8:06AM
    Options
    huckster said:
    British people with residency in Spain and also live part of the year in UK, have access to Spanish public healthcare and NHS.

Although NHS is based on residency, British passport holders do return to UK from various countries to receive treatments. They most likely use relatives or friends addresses when completing any NHS forms.
     Which is against the rules unless the uk is their main residence they don't qualify for NHS care. 

"Hospital treatment is free to people who are "ordinarily resident" in the UK.

To be considered ordinarily resident and entitled to free hospital treatment, you must be living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being. You may be asked to prove this."

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    huckster said:

Bought a house and the old owner was using the address with the NHS to access operations despite him living in Norway. It's bad practice and should be stopped. I swiftly reported him, felt good because he was not a nice person during the sale 🙂
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He will require health insurance. He will not have access to the Spanish health system and as he is now a citizen of Spain even though he has a U.K. passport he will legally not be entitled to any NHS appointments or treatments. After 5 years of citizenship he can apply to join Convenio Especial. The Spanish Health system. I think it is around €64 per month at moment but who knows in 5 years. 

"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback