Saving for Grandchildren

Options
Hi All,

My mum wants to setup and manage a savings account for my two kids. She has suggested making an initial deposit of £100 into each account and then adding £5 per month, hoping to increase this at birthdays/Christmas.

Is this possible and what are the best options?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    While it may be possible for a grandparent to open a savings account for a grandchild, it's normally easier for a parent to open a children's savings account in my experience - you'll need proof of ID, both for yourself (if it's not your usual bank) and for the child (birth certificate as a minimum) and most children's accounts need to be opened in a branch, so looking at local options is a good place to start. It's often the smaller, local building societies that have children's savings account with decent rates and these don't always feature on comparison sites due to geographical restrictions.

For modest monthly contributions, a child's regular saver would be ideal - the Halifax and Saffron and Coventry building societies all have childrens' regular savers paying >5% or, failing that, HSBC pay 5% on balances up to £3000 with their MySavings account.

https://savingschampion.co.uk/best-buys/personal/childrens-savings-accounts
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How do you mean you mum wants to 'manage' the accounts?  Is she just wanting to set-aside money for the kids, so that they can access them when they turn 18 (eg. to help with university costs) ?  If so then you could set-up/manage junior ISAs which your mum would be able to make payments into.
    If the idea in to give your kids an 'income' (aka. pocket money) then maybe they need an account like Starling Kite.
  • newbieni
    newbieni Posts: 85 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    How do you mean you mum wants to 'manage' the accounts?  Is she just wanting to set-aside money for the kids, so that they can access them when they turn 18 (eg. to help with university costs) ?  If so then you could set-up/manage junior ISAs which your mum would be able to make payments into.
    If the idea in to give your kids an 'income' (aka. pocket money) then maybe they need an account like Starling Kite.
    I have a Fidelity S&S ISA setup for both, they only has about £200 in each. What would be the best way to develop this with mum's funds?
  • Suzycoll
    Suzycoll Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    newbieni said:
    Hi All,

My mum wants to setup and manage a savings account for my two kids. She has suggested making an initial deposit of £100 into each account and then adding £5 per month, hoping to increase this at birthdays/Christmas.

Is this possible and what are the best options?

Thanks in advance.
    yes this is possible.

I opened an account with Principality BS for both my grandchildren. I have a standing order to put money in every quarter. I could also open my own account with the same rate of interest (currently 4.7%).

I had to take their birth certificates to the local branch and the account had to be in their names.
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    newbieni said:
    Mark_d said:
    I have a Fidelity S&S ISA setup for both, they only has about £200 in each. What would be the best way to develop this with mum's funds?
    The first thing you would need to do is check that your mum is happy with the fact that her money would be invested in the stock market (rather than in a savings account where you know the interest rate and therefore the returns are guaranteed) and that the children wouldn't be able to access the money until they're 18.

It's worth noting that a child can have both a cash JISA and a stocks and shares JISA.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    refluxer said:
    newbieni said:
    Mark_d said:
    .............and that the children wouldn't be able to access the money until they're 18.

And happy that they will be able to access it at 18 - otherwise it may be best for her to open accounts in her own name, so that she can decide when she feels it would be most useful for them (uni, car, house deposit etc.)
  • Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I pay money into premium bonds for my grandchildren. There is a minimum amount you have to invest but I think it’s £25. I only invest on their birthdays. I ticked the reinvest prizes option to build up their bonds. I realise your mum wants to invest a bit less than the minimum but she could do it on their birthday and Christmas or something an meet the minimum. My grandchildren win a reasonable amount. Other people can invest for them as well. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback