PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought an apartment, found after 1 year there was an £800 bill comming

Options
Hi all

I bought an apartment end June 22, and as normal there were £300 left during 1 year to cover for unexpected bills coming after the sell. I am a first time buyer, so please bear with me but my solicitors, PCS legal (I would recommend to avoid them), explained this process which sounds very reasonable.

I was passed a bill of £800+ after that period of 1 year that I had to raise these pending payments. As well, MTVH (the landlord) is not the best at communicating so initially I thought that I just had to pay this for something I couldn't fully understand (avoid MTVH where possible as well).

It took me a while, and thanks to a neighbour to understand that those £800 belong to new security doors that were planned and communicated to the owners in Feb 22, before I bought the apartment.

I have asked for advice to PCS legal, but they deny to get involved/comment/advice, but the seller did not communicate this charge to me at the time of the sale.

What should be my first steps? I don't know if it is worthy to get advice from a solicitor for this amount.

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think I understand you.

You normally pay £300 a year for communal bills etc for the block of flats you live in.

You've now had a bill for your flats contribution to Security Doors.

When were the doors installed - before or after you moved in?

It may be that the seller was aware of this charge coming but did not disclose it - you may want to contact your solicitors to find out if they did / did not disclose - and what options you have now it has come to light.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback