How do I know when to change timing belt?

Options

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    arrowsmith wrote: »
    Nissan's of this age have timing chains rather than belts which don't ever need replacing.

Not quite true, timing chains and the tensioners wear requiring replacement, though you usually get warning well in advance as the chain begins to rattle before replacement is necessary, but if left they can break causing just as much damage depending on the engine design.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Not quite true, timing chains and the tensioners wear requiring replacement, though you usually get warning well in advance as the chain begins to rattle before replacement is necessary, but if left they can break causing just as much damage depending on the engine design.

True, but far less likely to happen than a belt, in which case you usually get no warning at all.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're better off changing the oil more regularly, on an old car. 6months or 5000miles whichever comes first, is long enough to wait.

This will keep everything as clean & wear free as possible.

Including the chain, which is best left well alone, in these circumstances. No rattles = no problems!!

Lots of cheap oil changes at tyre places, around £20 quality oil & a branded filter is £$£$ well spent.

VB

VB
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    True, but far less likely to happen than a belt, in which case you usually get no warning at all.

Agreed, which is why I said 'though you usually get warning well in advance'

However his statement that
    chains rather than belts which don't ever need replacing.

is misleading and could lead to someone having problems if they ignored signs of timing chain rattle.
  • goldspanners
    Options
    your right cajef,
    usually a pulley or sprocket will go before the chain actually snaps.the engine will get rattley,but usually good for double the milage that is currently on the vehicle.
    the company i used to work for had primeras with chains and they done well over 200,000 miles and were sold on before they ever got the chains or pulleys done on them,they are incredibly reliable with good servicing.
    ...work permit granted!
  • arrowsmith
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    However his statement that

is misleading and could lead to someone having problems if they ignored signs of timing chain rattle.

Timing chains for Nissan cars are designed not to be a consumable item like timing belts are, they should last the lifetime of the car, just like the seats, wheels and steering wheel are. Of course all machanical things have a MTBF and a shorter one if not looked after correctly. If a driver gets any unusual noise from a car they should have it investigated, timing chains are very low on the list of things that go wrong!
  • andy71_2
    Options
    I ignored a rattle in my engine for a few days as the car was booked in for a service the next week. The timing chain failed and pretty much trashed the engine (almost £2000 to repair). The car, a Vectra 2.2, had done 80k and was 61/2 years old. I had it serviced as per manufacturers instructions and have not skipped any recommended work on it. I've been told that this component should last for the life of the engine.
    Obviously I will NEVER ignore any engine rattles again but I was wondering if I had any kind of comeback on Vauxhall? Any ideas?
    Thanks, Andy
  • goldspanners
    Options
    at only 80k that is surprizing as i would have expected double the mileage if not treble out of a timing chain.
    if you decide to repiar it then expect to pay more for a timing chain and all pulleys, sprockets and tensioners than just a normal timing belt kit.
    or try to find a good donor engine,this may be your best bet.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    Timing chains wear out. The difference is they will normally rattle upon startup and running. A timing belt will just snap. If you have an inteference engine, its going to hurt.

Even before the rattle, a worn or stretched timing chain can offset the timing of the engine and reduce power and efficiency.

Chains have tensioning devices which also are prone to failure.

My engine has a chain, is at 200,500 miles, and is in perfect working order. Regular oil changes are the key.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andy71 wrote: »
    I ignored a rattle in my engine for a few days as the car was booked in for a service the next week. The timing chain failed and pretty much trashed the engine (almost £2000 to repair). The car, a Vectra 2.2, had done 80k and was 61/2 years old. I had it serviced as per manufacturers instructions and have not skipped any recommended work on it. I've been told that this component should last for the life of the engine.
    Obviously I will NEVER ignore any engine rattles again but I was wondering if I had any kind of comeback on Vauxhall? Any ideas?
    Thanks, Andy

This is a well known fault caused by the fitting of a undersized oil jet which squirts oil onto the timing chain. The original was 1mm and blocks easily, the replacement is 5mm. When it blocks the chain doesn’t get any oil and snaps or slips wrecking the valves and normally the head/cam too.

There is a lot about this on the web, there is even a service instruction to the dealers on how to upgrade to the new jet.

I talked Vauxhall into replacing my sisters engine when hers failed last year. Hers is an 02 car and had done 75k. Initially they gave me the big FO, then once I’d found all the details they offered 25%, then 50% then 80% and finally 100%. There are overseas call centres who are a waste of time, keep at it until you get through to a native English speaker.

Does yours have a Vauxhall history? Was it repaired at a Vauxhall dealer?

PM me if you want more info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport