PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent overlap when moving / council house

Options
Hi all

Its me again, ive posted lots recently and had some very useful replies

I am after some advice please.

I am currently private renting. I need to give 30 days notice to the LL. I can only give notice on the date rent is due, so 1st of the month. 

I was offered a council property a month ago now. Viewed it yesterday, however did not sign the tenancy as the surveyor hasn't been in, they said I can sign it once everything's fully completed. Builders expected to return the keys on 30th April. From what I can see, major works are done. The cleaner was in cleaning downstairs

In my situation, would you give notice to Landlord on 1st? Or would you wait till the surveyor has been in? 

I don't want to pay extra month's rent but at the same time worried about the surveyor not signing the house off. Anyone know how long surveyors can take? 

Comments

• propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 April at 6:57PM
    Options
    * are you sure it's 30 days notice? Please quote the tenancy agreement.
    * very unlikely you have to give notice on the date rent is due
    a) more likely it's the 1st day of a tenancy period (which may or may not be the rent due date). Again - please quote
    b) more likely still it's at least 30 days (or whatever) ending with a tenancy period end date.

More detail of your tenancy type needed. Also which country you are in.
    Or are you perhaps a lodger, not a tenant?

Surveyors take as long as it takes. If you serve (proper) notice before you are sure about your onward move, you could end up homeless. Or paying double rent if you don't move out when your notice expires.
    The realities of life are that when moving, people often have to pay overlapping rents (or mortgage whatever). The plus side is you have more flexibility about actually moving as you can do it over several days if you have two properties.
  • AmazonnRainforest4756
    Options
    Hi @rentalproperty. This is what it says on the email they sent me regarding the rent increase..

"If your tenancy moves to periodic tenancy you will need to serve 1 months notice to end the agreement, this notice can only be served on the day you pay your rent"

We are on a rolling tenancy now, in the UK (England) 

The contract does not say anything about when we can serve notice, but does say 1 month notice is required

Thanks for your reply, you're right. It's probably better to pay 2 lots of rent than take the risk
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback