PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Certificate of Compliance - Management Company question

Options
We have recently purchased a property in a Gated community containing 4 Free hold properties. In order to maintain the communal areas and Entrance Gate. One of the property owners have set up a limited company. Each property owner is a director of the company and chips in £31 per month to the company. The money is used for general maintenance and bills for say electricity of lights in general areas and Gate etc. since purchase of the property; I have been made director of the company. 

The solicitor I hired to process the purchase is now asking the Management Company (limited company as described above) for a Certificate of Compliance. The person who is managing the Limited company (one of the property owners) says that this is just a limited company made between owners to formalise the maintenance and is not a formal property management company. In short they don’t have a certificate of compliance and never needed it for anyone else. 

The solicitor says that he needs it for transferring the title in land registry. 

During the course of purchase; this solicitor got quite a few things wrong. Hence enquiring here whether in this scenario does the solicitor really needs it? And/or with person who manages the limited company saying they don’t have it; what are my options..?

any help will be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 April at 9:38AM
    Options

I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that a "Certificate of Compliance" is essentially a letter/document from the Management Company (or Limited Company) essentially saying something like:

"We confirm that Hankzbar and/or their solicitor has done everything we require them to do in connection with buying the property and agreeing to pay management fees, etc."

i.e. You've signed any/all docs the company want you to sign, and there's nothing else that they want you to do.

Maybe you could ask your solicitor to draft a simple "Certificate of Compliance" letter or document for the director of the limited company to sign.

But possible considerations might include:
    • Your solicitor might ask you to pay an extra fee for drafting the wording of the "Certificate of Compliance"
    • The company director might be happy to sign it - or they might look at it and think "I'm not signing that without taking advice from a solicitor". That might cause further delays, and they might expect you (or the seller) to pay their solicitor's fee.

Edit to add...

I think Land Registry only require a "Certificate of Compliance" if there's a relevant restriction on the title. 

Maybe there is no restriction on the title in your case - so as you suggest, it isn't actually required by Land Registry. So I guess you could ask your solicitor to point you towards the specific restriction wording on your title.

Or it might be simpler just to provide a certificate for your solicitor, rather than having a drawn out argument about whether it's required.

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    OP - The question you should ask yourself is do you prefer the opinion of somebody you are paying a lot of money to to get things right (and who you can potentially sue if they get it wrong) or the advice of somebody who is doing a part time job that they're not getting paid for (you could still possibly sue them if they get it wrong but you would end up having to pay yourself 25% of anything you're awarded)?
  • Hanzkbar
    Hanzkbar Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    OP - The question you should ask yourself is do you prefer the opinion of somebody you are paying a lot of money to to get things right (and who you can potentially sue if they get it wrong) or the advice of somebody who is doing a part time job that they're not getting paid for (you could still possibly sue them if they get it wrong but you would end up having to pay yourself 25% of anything you're awarded)?
    Response is aligned is what my solicitor that I am paying is saying to me.. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback