PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home buying: house built on mains

Options
I desperately need some advice on a situation we're in.
We liked a house, offer accepted, mortgage approved, searches were fine. However, it was reported that there was an issue that potentially house was built on gas mains.
Few weeks ago, a gas leak was reported at neighbouring property. Cadent turned up after investigation it turned out to be from the property we are buying. Cadent apparently said a gas mains was running through the property, they had plans showing that. Seller dismisses it as property is only 15 year old and built by FTSE100 builder and they don't do such blunder (completely true from their interpretation). On the first visit Cadent advised sellers they'll schedule a camera survey later to find out. I tried to contact Cadent and they wouldn't share details with me as I'm not the owner of the property. 

We're all ready to exchange except for this is sorted to put my mind to rest. 

I had asked sellers to request a report from Cadent on this issue as what's been identified, what's been done and what's planned for future. I can see on their website there's an outstanding gas related issue that Cadent scheduled to look into in August of this year. 
I'm really lost on how to handle this. Please advise me on if there's a professional survey need doing if so who?
Thanks, 
Russy.

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What has your solicitor said?
  • Russyarnold
    Russyarnold Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yorkie1 said:
    What has your solicitor said?
    My solicitors said they can't do anything and asked me to get it surveyed. 
    But I'm not sure which professional to approach for this.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone seen the plans showing the rogue pipe? Your solicitor ought at least to be aware of the concept of utility searches (i.e. maps showing where the companies think their assets are), such as what you'd get by asking Cadent: https://cadentgas.com/help-advice/digging-safely
  • ThorOdinson
    ThorOdinson Posts: 42 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds quite plausible for a new build. I'd walk away if the seller isn't being helpful.
  • Russyarnold
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Has anyone seen the plans showing the rogue pipe? Your solicitor ought at least to be aware of the concept of utility searches (i.e. maps showing where the companies think their assets are), such as what you'd get by asking Cadent: https://cadentgas.com/help-advice/digging-safely
    Gas mains plans were never shared with us.
    The term "gas mains", does this mean it is a supply pipe to multiple properties or just this property?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The gas main would normally be the bigger thicker pipe that moves gas around the estate. Typically, all the individual houses will have a pipe off this main to supply gas to them. Our gas main goes through our back garden, as we found out after a leak a few years ago. I'd be surprised if the gas main goes under the house, but could go through the garden at some point.
  • Russyarnold
    Options
    The gas main would normally be the bigger thicker pipe that moves gas around the estate. Typically, all the individual houses will have a pipe off this main to supply gas to them. Our gas main goes through our back garden, as we found out after a leak a few years ago. I'd be surprised if the gas main goes under the house, but could go through the garden at some point.
    How to find the number of connections through this and location of this pipe on the plan? 
    This might put me off buying this as I don't want to be disturbed if any of feeding off this has an issue with their gas.
    Also kitchen in this was extended, it raises further questions as to if extension was over mains without them knowing.....
    This is just complicating the things for me. Will get in touch with my solicitors.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds too complicated unfortunately. Gas company should absolutely know given they are new connections. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Considering that Cadent ( and similar) seem to be pretty rigid on gas safety rules, it seems a bit hard to believe they would allow a new property to be built over a gas main. Especially as said above they would have been responsible for connecting the gas to the house.
  • Russyarnold
    Options
    Finally, Cadent pointed me in the direction of GTC who hold the plans of the utility connections to properties. Spoke to GTC who advised me that they will get all the info out in few days. At least the response was swift from them and already sent me couple of emails asking for more information.
    My solicitors with no move no fee are yet to respond.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback