We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax free redundancy payment Qs

Options
If I am made redundant in the current financial year (I pay 40% tax) can I put the £30k tax free element into my pension fund and would it reduce my 40% tax burden when I do a self assessment (my current pension contributions do not cover all the 40% tax burden and there is still £30k ‘available’)?
Thanks in advance
Russ

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it is tax exempt then the £30k is irrelevant for pension contribution purposes 

But if having that £30k means you can afford to make additional qualifying contributions then yes, that could help minimise your tax liability.

You are probably overthinking things.
  • irharris
    irharris Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was made redundant last year - the company would not allow me to use salary sacrifice to pay the £30k tax free into my pension.

The £30k plus the pension tax free lump sum (I'm 55) has allowed me to hold my annual pension draw down below £12.5k, avoiding tax - my primary pension is a DB scheme I'll cut in at 60 - the money being draw down and the tax free lump sum are coming from the redundancy payment I put into the pension
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback