Utility Point - Barratt Smith & Brown phishing scam

Options
bustamove
bustamove Posts: 3 Newbie
First Post
For the past year or so, BSB have been chasing me over email and text for a disputed debt of £46.40 on behalf of Utility Point. I've sent them multiple emails saying that I've never heard of the debt or received a bill from Utility Point.

I asked them to send me evidence of the bill in writing (i.e., the actual bill from Utility Point). Two weeks later they've finally sent me this email with absolutely no context, it's not attached as a PDF or anything, it's literally just a few cobbled together images in an email made to look like a letter from Utility Point. Clearly, the statement number isn't correct either. This is obviously just doctored by BSB no?

I would happily pay the bill if it there was actually a final bill I'd missed, but I don't have any email from them nor did I receive anything in the post from them. Obviously I can't login to the portal anymore because they've gone bust.

A clearly cobbled together email by the debt collectors surely doesn't count as evidence of the debt? I'm just amazed, is this common practice or just a phishing scam? I don't even know how to respond to be honest. Appreciate any help anyway.

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Were you ever with Utility Point? If so, you could log into your online account and check the disputed bill.
  • bustamove
    First Post
    Options
    I tried at the time. You can't login to the online portal anymore since they ceased trading, going to the webpage "portal . utilitypoint . co . uk" (can't post the link) just returns a 503 service unavailable error
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the balance of probabilities, you most likely did owe some money when they went bust. Is it worth the time, or the risk of impairing your credit record, for the sake of £46, to pursue the matter?
  • stripling
    stripling Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That looks like a scam. 
    Here is Ofgem's page about Utility Point. 
    If in doubt contact Ofgem and tell them. But as UP went under a few years ago you must be with another energy company so it makes zero sense as receivership is much more official. 
  • bustamove
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the response. But I don't know that I did owe any money which is why I'm asking them for the evidence, as I say I never received a final bill before they went bust. I'm aware it's "only" £46, but I don't just want to hand cash out to predatory debt collectors on their word and without real evidence.

I think it's reasonable to ask for an actual bill or statement from Utility Point? If it's not possible to produce the evidence, then how is it even legal to chase such a debt?
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bustamove said:

I think it's reasonable to ask for an actual bill or statement from Utility Point? 
    Yes, it is.

bustamove said:

If it's not possible to produce the evidence, then how is it even legal to chase such a debt?
    Because anyone can chase anyone for anything.  I could send you a letter saying that you owe me £1000.  That's perfectly legal.

Doesn't mean that I could get anyone to enforce the 'debt', but you got spooked into sending me money then that's fine.

Extortion, harassment, threats etc are a different matter, but shot in the dark legal messages are pretty much ok.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,131 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you checked your credit reports?  Go for the online free ones as you shouldn't need to pay to get this info.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bustamove said:

I think it's reasonable to ask for an actual bill or statement from Utility Point? 
    Yes, it is.
    I would concur. In addition, that "letter" from BSB clearly states that it is not a VAT invoice. If that is the entirety of the letter, it lacks opening/closing readings, unit rates, standing charges, and the VAT. It isn't even that clear whether you owe £46 or if you are due a refund. Personally, I would ignore until such time as they can produce a proper VAT invoice that includes open/closing readings and calculations showing how the amount was arrived at.

Have had EDF chasing me on a couple of occasions about an unpaid bill from when Toto the Clowns went bust. Despite telling them that they are using imperial units when the meter is metric, they seem to be unable to do the proper calculations. Another ~18 months, and it becomes statute barred.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, it would be very unusual not to either be in credit or debit at the exact point in time when a supplier goes into administration. The only circumstances I can think of is that you were in credit last time you paid and the supplier happened to go into administration at the exact time you used up that credit. So there would normally be either a credit or debit balance. So is it possible that the sum they are chasing relates to this, which sounds like it is in the right ball park for a typical part bill?

Having said that I absolutely agree with the above comments about it being perfectly reasonable for you to expect a proper explanation of where the amount comes from. That wouldn't necessarily be a Utility Point bill because they wouldn't have produced bills at the point they went into administration. What they should be able to give you is your last pukka bill from UP and then their own bill showing how the amount they are changing is calculated.

To sum up (a) it's quite possible that the amount they are chasing is legit, but (b) it's perfectly reasonable IMHO for you to demand a proper explanation and evidence of where the amount comes from. I expect they'll give up sooner or later if you continue to hold your ground, the risk is you (quite unfairly) get a black mark on your credit record.

Having said that, the risk is probably quite small -  it's in their interest to threaten you with a black mark, but if they actually do it they would be putting themselves in the position where they have to spend time and money dealing with a subsequent complaint.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BSB have "form" for this; there are literally thousands of ex Together Energy customers being chased by them for supposed debts with no supporting evidence. One recent post from a ex customer said that BSB are asking for £37,000 !!
    Many of the ex T.E customers have gone direct to the administrators, FRP, with their own evidence and had their so called bills ,written off.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback