PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer land tax relief form

Options
Hi,

there is a common form to compile when declaring the land tax during the house purchase, solicitors don't provide consultations about that, so I wonder how it works.

I'm purchasing an house less than 250k in England, I satisfy all the requirements to avoid the Land Tax, but does this mean that I can claim relief (FTB relief)? Is this the relief they're talking about?

Or because I'm not subjected to that tax, I can't claim back anything and I need to declare that I don't/won't claim any relief?

Comments

• SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Luke451 said:
    Hi,

there is a common form to compile when declaring the land tax during the house purchase,
    Are you talking about a questionnaire your solicitors have designed and sent you for you to fill out so that they can find out some information about your circumstances.
    solicitors don't provide consultations about that,
    If it is their own form and you are not sure what it means then you should ask them.
    so I wonder how it works.

I'm purchasing an house less than 250k in England, I satisfy all the requirements to avoid the Land Tax, but does this mean that I can claim relief (FTB relief)? Is this the relief they're talking about?
    If the price is less than £250,000, there would be normally be no SDLT anyway.  Unless the higher rates for additional property apply the whole price is in the nil rate band.

Or because I'm not subjected to that tax, I can't claim back anything and I need to declare that I don't/won't claim any relief?
    If you are below the threshold when tax starts there are no such complications.
    I have made some notes above in bold.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You donlt get anything off or back for  being a FTB.

What you get is not paying the land tax.

But since your property is under the value to pay any tax there is nothing to pay anyway.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your solicitor would usually complete the SDLT submission for you. Although there is no tax to pay, the submission still has to be made, as without that you cannot obtain the SDLT5 which accompanies your registration.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Luke451 said:

there is a common form to compile when declaring the land tax during the house purchase, solicitors don't provide consultations about that, so I wonder how it works.

Are you saying you're in the middle of a purchase and your solicitor is refusing to give you any advice about the SDLT?
  • Luke451
    Luke451 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your solicitor would usually complete the SDLT submission for you. Although there is no tax to pay, the submission still has to be made, as without that you cannot obtain the SDLT5 which accompanies your registration.

If I don't sign it, then yes, he will automatically assume things, but the responsibility falls on me :D
  • Luke451
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Luke451 said:

Are you saying you're in the middle of a purchase and your solicitor is refusing to give you any advice about the SDLT?

No, I just came here to ask.
  • user1977
    edited 28 April at 11:51PM
    Options
    Luke451 said:
    user1977 said:
    Luke451 said:

In which case I'm not sure what you mean by "solicitors don't provide consultations about that", as it's normal for them to draft the return following your instructions about your circumstances. It's simply part of the job of acting for you in your purchase.
  • Luke451
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Luke451 said:
    user1977 said:
    Luke451 said:

In which case I'm not sure what you mean by "solicitors don't provide consultations about that", as it's normal for them to draft the return following your instructions about your circumstances. It's simply part of the job of acting for you in your purchase.

My paper says that they are not responsible for it, neither they provide consultation on the same, which would make them liable at least for something I believe.
  • user1977
    Options
    Luke451 said:
    user1977 said:
    Luke451 said:
    user1977 said:
    Luke451 said:

My paper says that they are not responsible for it, neither they provide consultation on the same, which would make them liable at least for something I believe.
    Ok, I'm now not sure what you mean by "my paper" if you're not currently buying anything - can you tell us what exactly you're looking at and what it says?
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this just the initial form to confirm to them you are a FTB? 
    If so, just tick that you are and the solicitor does the rest. They don't know you are a FTB if you don't tell them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback