Options
2»

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Iamtoe said:
    Jet2 has replied back and said they will pay medical expenses to the NHS and told me to send them GP letters for potential compensation. 

How much compensation would you be happy with? £100, £1000, £10,000?

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:

Just to be clear, you're presumably dealing with Jet2 Holidays, i.e. the package organiser/tour operator, rather than the airline or a travel agent?  It is the package organiser who holds the responsibility for the performance of the contract under the Package Travel Regulations, although it's news to me that this encompasses accidents like this!
    Add me to the list of people who learned today that Package Operators were responsible for accidents in airports!
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ganga said:
    Are you back in the UK or still in Spain ?
    Was the accident reorted to a rep of the package holiday firm at the airport ?
    Did you receive formal medical attention in Spain, if so, is there a record ?

They state that they got no help or assistance in the airport ,had this been a British airport i am sure they would have been looked after better ,the other thing is if the Spanish authorities had known about the accident they might have prevented them from flying.
    The OP did not make clear if the accident had been reported to the holiday rep at the airport or not, hence my question.
    Had the Spanish authorities known of the accident then they presumably would have provided medical and other assistance, which may or may not have resulted in not flying home, depending  on the doctor's diagnosis and travel insurance instructions.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Iamtoe said:
    Jet2 has replied back and said they will pay medical expenses to the NHS and told me to send them GP letters for potential compensation. 
    Just to be clear, you're presumably dealing with Jet2 Holidays, i.e. the package organiser/tour operator, rather than the airline or a travel agent?  It is the package organiser who holds the responsibility for the performance of the contract under the Package Travel Regulations, although it's news to me that this encompasses accidents like this!
    I don't believe it ordinarily would under a reading of the law. The responsibility would be for the elements of the package which includes flights though.

As was discussed in our office recently, we had to issue a reasonably large rebate to a client due to a contractor error quite recently. Just because we have to pay something doesn't mean we can't re-claim it from someone else. We reached a settlement with the contractor on this basis.

Jet2 Holidays are likely in correspondence with the airport on this matter in a similar manner if the matter was there was reasonable negligence under Spanish law. I can't see where OP would have a legal claim against Jet2 Holidays in any event though.
    💙💛 💔
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure