Accident in an airport!

Options
I was travelling home from a Spanish airport. I unfortunately slipped in someone's sick and broke my wrist. Currently in a cast waiting to see if I need an operation. Some people have told me to apply for compensation with the travel agent (package holiday) just looking for some advice. I'm in a lot of pain. I am a carer for my disabled son. It's affecting my every day life. I had travel insurance. I have put a complaint in with the travel agency. I had no help or support in the airport and was left to my own devices. Thanks for reading. 

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure what liability the travel agency would have here, an incident in the airport isn't anything they could have mitigated or anticipated. A claim against the airport possibly has more validity.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Any claim would be against the aorport if they were negligent.

That would be if they had been told about it but not mwarned people or cleaned it up.

However, if it had just happened and they had not been told about it I doubt they would be held responsible.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    For a claim against the airport you would need to speak to someone with knowledge of Spanish liability law, the above position would be broadly correct for English law but Spanish in principle could be very different. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It is going to be a difficult one to prove. Were the airport aware and did nothing? Were you paying attention where you were walking? 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Bicycleman22
    Bicycleman22 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have legal cover on your insurance it might be possible to make a claim through them, otherwise it probably means hiring a Spanish speaking lawyer.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Options
    Are you back in the UK or still in Spain ?
    Was the accident reorted to a rep of the package holiday firm at the airport ?
    Did you receive formal medical attention in Spain, if so, is there a record ?

• Iamtoe
    Iamtoe Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Jet2 has replied back and said they will pay medical expenses to the NHS and told me to send them GP letters for potential compensation. 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    Options
    Are you back in the UK or still in Spain ?
    Was the accident reorted to a rep of the package holiday firm at the airport ?
    Did you receive formal medical attention in Spain, if so, is there a record ?

They state that they got no help or assistance in the airport ,had this been a British airport i am sure they would have been looked after better ,the other thing is if the Spanish authorities had known about the accident they might have prevented them from flying.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Great to hear about the response from Jet2.  To be honest I'm not surprised as they have a deserved, in my opinion, reputation for great customer service.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Iamtoe said:
    Jet2 has replied back and said they will pay medical expenses to the NHS and told me to send them GP letters for potential compensation. 
    Just to be clear, you're presumably dealing with Jet2 Holidays, i.e. the package organiser/tour operator, rather than the airline or a travel agent?  It is the package organiser who holds the responsibility for the performance of the contract under the Package Travel Regulations, although it's news to me that this encompasses accidents like this!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback