Profits from trading/crypto/trading, how are they taxed?

Options
My assumption is that profits from stocks/crypto/trading are free from CGT as long it's within the £20K per year limit in an ISA? If you max out the ISA allowance it will count as a personal income so it will be taxed normally? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Comments

• InvesterJones
    InvesterJones Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stock gains and trading within an ISA wrapper are free from tax. I don't think it's possible to put crpyto inside an ISA wrapper, so that will attract full CGT.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    • Can you put crypto in an ISA?

• No, you can’t hold crypto in an ISA
  • EthicsGradient
    EthicsGradient Posts: 893 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Amazin said:
    My assumption is that profits from stocks/crypto/trading are free from CGT as long it's within the £20K per year limit in an ISA? If you max out the ISA allowance it will count as a personal income so it will be taxed normally? Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Your wording is ambiguous. £20k is the amount of new cash you're allowed to add to an ISA account each year. Within an ISA account, all profits - dividends, capital gains, interest - are free from tax, whatever their size. If you have added the maximum 20k to your ISA accounts in a year (it can be split among many accounts now), then any more cash would have to be invested outside an ISA. Dividends and/or interest from that would be taxed each year, and capital gains would be assessed in the year you sold it (or part of it).
  • DoctorStrange
    DoctorStrange Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here but there's no "£20k ISA allowance" which you can use to deduct from your overall capital gains / income.

There is of course a maximum amount you can invest in an ISA each year and all capital gains / income within that account are free from further taxes.

It's just the OP read to me as though they were perhaps thinking that, if they made £25k from trading stocks in a GIA and/or on Crypto, they could then deduct £20k and have only £5k liable for CGT / income tax so I thought it was worthwhile clarifying
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback