£20k per year?

Options

Comments

• subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything is possible with a Labour Government. Wales is under Labour control and all I hear is bad news.....20mph speed limits, house prices falling by almost 7%, adverse changes to the rental market etc.
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 April at 10:38AM
    Options
    Anything is possible with a Labour Government. Wales is under Labour control and all I hear is bad news.....20mph speed limits, house prices falling by almost 7%, adverse changes to the rental market etc.
    Can't quite get the connection between ISAs and 20mph speed limits. Perhaps I'm just a bit slow.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    Options
    slinger2 said:
    Can't quite get the connection between ISAs and 20mph speed limits. Perhaps I'm just a bit slow.
    Yes, perhaps you are.
    The thread suggested there was a Labour idea to cap ISAs. Many thought this was unlikely, even impossible.
    I was pointing out that Wales is Labour controlled and full of negative stories.
    Vote Labour and you could get anything.

• Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,206 Forumite
    Options
    Or Scottish Nationalist.  20 mph limits in parts of Scotland now.  If they can cut your maximum speed to 20 mph then it's just as easy to cut your maximum ISA subscription to £13,33.33.
    Reed
  • slinger2
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shock Horror. I live on a 20mph street in England!
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,206 Forumite
    Options
    So it must be a labour-run council where you live?
    Reed
  • slinger2
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Correct. Don't know why the stupid folk here keep voting for them.

Still not sure what this has to do with ISAs.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rigby44 said:
    slinger2 said:
    And it doesn't have to go into the same account. You can open a new one if you want.
    If I’m able to keep putting it £20k per year? I have a 5% savings account with Chip! at the moment but I’ll have to pay tax on that at some point, so makes sense to keep as much in an ISA as I can?
    The Chip ISA pays more than the savings account so better in that respect too
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Ocelot
    Ocelot Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options

They generally did ok last time (foot and mouth scandal and illegal wars aside). There were four years of budget surplus and, even after the global financial crisis (caused by American banks) the national debt was only around a third of the current mess we have.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    Brie said:
    £20k in 23/24
    another £20k in 24/25  etc

It's been £20k a year for some time so perhaps some government will up this limit at some point.
    I thought that they were looking at a cap on the limit (£100K) you could save in a ISA, & be tax free.
    That's unsubstantiated speculation on what might happen with an incoming Labour government. Of course they could do it but for a whole host of reasons most believe it is extraordinarily unlikely
    It's not even speculation about Labour government. It was a report by Resolution Foundation saying that ISAs were not the best way to encourage saving amongst those that don't and that capping at £100k would allow resources to be directed elsewhere.

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/isa-isa-baby/#:~:text=We estimate that the total,households as interest rates rise.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback