Victim of Fraud

Options

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 April at 10:04AM
    Options
    Please stick to one thread, gets very confusing with two running on the same topic.
  • dementedhousewife
    dementedhousewife Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 April at 10:04AM
    Options
    sorry, i wasnt sure where to post, needed a fraud board 
    Comping & Coupons!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,761 Forumite
    Options
    Which bank is it and do you know if this is a business account?

What is odd is banks follow Know Your Customer quite aggressively for business accounts, they usually require passport details for all directors, often verification via webcam or in branch and multiple forms of ID. As an example the business account for my limited companies required me to submit passport and driving license, then verify myself (and the other directors on those companies) on webcam, face and showing the ID again. That was jus to get a bank account, I had to do the same again to take out a BBL (which was repaid before interest applied). 

If the CCJ is against the limited company then why has it been applied to you personally, was there a guarantee attached? 

How similar are the business names, a single letter, a full stop, or word play?
  • dementedhousewife
    edited 21 April at 4:27PM
    Options
    So the CCJ is in my personal name its shows 17.04.24    Its Santander
    So far i cant see any business loans
    The business names are just 2 words switched around. They used my name , DOB but an address in Essex as the registered address, which is over 100 miles from me and my business.
    I have been asking Co house to shut it down since Jan. But they are just useless.
    Even though i have a trail of emails and calls to them.
    Even the Action Fraud team cant understand how they have managed to get a loan or CC , I wont know until the bank calls me back after doing their investigation.
    My business is 20yr Ltd with zero adverse credit ... Currently im in bits not understanding how this has been allowed to happen.
    Im tempted to drive to the place its registered at ,,, But hubby wont let me 
    Comping & Coupons!
  • dementedhousewife
    Options
    BTW , I've never had a bank account / loan / CC with Santander !  Its just like they walked straight through all the checks!
    Comping & Coupons!
  • MattMattMattUK
    edited 21 April at 4:42PM
    Options
    So the CCJ is in my personal name its shows 17.04.24    Its Santander
    So far i cant see any business loans
    So the loan is nothing to do with the business, just a personal loan taken out fraudulently? In the case the whole thing will be dealt with by Santander reasonably quickly, but it might take a couple of months to get fully resolved with the CCJ being removed.
    The business names are just 2 words switched around. They used my name , DOB but an address in Essex as the registered address, which is over 100 miles from me and my business.
    I have been asking Co house to shut it down since Jan. But they are just useless.
    Even though i have a trail of emails and calls to them. 
    It is quite that simple unfortunately. For a long time there have been proposals to tighten up the company formation rules but nothing has happened. The chances are they address is either entirely irrelevant or has a mail forward on it. 
    Even the Action Fraud team cant understand how they have managed to get a loan or CC , I wont know until the bank calls me back after doing their investigation.
    Action Fraud are at best useless, but they do issue a crime reference number which the bank require as part of your process.
    My business is 20yr Ltd with zero adverse credit ... 
    If they are limited companies with different names then the whole thing should have zero impact in that respect. As at example I have multiple limited companies, even though I own them all one having a CCJ would not impact the others, the same as a similarly named one would have no impact, the same as me personally getting a CCJ would have no impact on them directly. I am not sure how what is effectively a random limited company having a CCJ has any impact on your legitimate limited company?
    Currently im in bits not understanding how this has been allowed to happen. 
    Have a glass of something, enjoy a nice meal and get an early night. Stuff like this happens and you can either choose to tie yourself in knots or let it wash over you, better for one's blood pressure to do the latter. The bank will work through the process, the CCJ against you will get removed (set aside) and eventually Companies House will remove your name from the fraudulent Ltd.
    Im tempted to drive to the place its registered at ,,, But hubby wont let me 
    He is being sensible. The best case scenario is you will find someone who has no clue their address has been used, the worst case is you find a career criminal who things nothing of resorting to violence, either way you loose out.
    BTW , I've never had a bank account / loan / CC with Santander !  Its just like they walked straight through all the checks!
    There are various ways that can happen, but as it is a personal account the thresholds for proof of ID are usually less, although still usually require some ID. Submit a DSAR to them, as well as a formal complaint. 
  • dementedhousewife
    Options
    Thank you!. I was meant to have a family day out today, instead been in tears in front of my PC.
    Especially when i have been trying to get the other business closed with no help at all.
    I have emailed Santander today with my timeline of me finding the business and my emails to Co house
    Thanks for the advice about DSAR, on that now 

Comping & Coupons!
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Thank you!. I was meant to have a family day out today, instead been in tears in front of my PC.
    I have had something similar happen to me (bank account and mobile phone contracts (6) fraudulently taken out in my name), I was just about to go on holiday, so my choice was to let it ruin my holiday, or just deal with it at the speed that the banks and network operators operate at, which is fairly slow. Once you accept that no matter how many times you call or email they will deal with the issue at their own pace it becomes much easier, just let them deal with it.
    Especially when i have been trying to get the other business closed with no help at all.
    Again, same applies, submit paperwork, then wait, chase if they have not got back to you within their own time line (not one set by you), apart from that there is no point in expending extra effort or energy because it will not change anything. 
    I have emailed Santander today with my timeline of me finding the business and my emails to Co house
    Genuine question, not me having a go. What are you trying to achieve? If you have already told them that it is fraudulent and they are investigating then there is little point sending further emails or sending additional information unless they ask for it. From what you have said the loan appears to be a personal loan, so the connection to a limited company does not exist, the whole point of limited liability is that the business is a separate legal entity.
    Thanks for the advice about DSAR, on that now 
    You might get some interesting info back, but you might not. Even though it might be in your name banks deem fraudsters personal details as belonging to the fraudster, not the person whose name they used.

I would also recommend looking at CIFAS protective registration, it does cost a small fee, but the piece or mind is probably worth it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,746 Forumite
    Options
    What i mean was.
    He used the address where he lives, which is around 100 miles away
    and used my old address on companies house as the previous address.
    The bank i guess never check that i had moved from my address 4 year prev
    So you did not tell them?

A point on the DSAR. It will only provide details on YOUR accounts. NOT the fraudsters. 

As others have said. You have done all you can.
    Life in the slow lane
  • dementedhousewife
    Options
    Did not tell who ?
    Companies house i have been emailing since i knew in January that this person copied my business ...
    And i only found out about the Santander today... and i called this straight away
    I have been trying to get someone to help me since Jan... However this person has now gone and got a loan ... Was impossible for me to know... 
    Comping & Coupons!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure