PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

cheapest. reliable fitted bathroom and kitchen companies

Options
hi I'm selling my flat and looking for a bungalow.. they all need a lot of medernisations.. what would be a good company to go for for a new kitchen and bathroom on the cheap? how much does the average budget kitchen and bathroom cost?
Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)

Comments

• Martico
    Martico Posts: 976 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 April at 9:11PM
    Options
    Things will depend on your local area - independents can be good. But for kitchen, I got the plan mapped out digitally for free by Wickes (pricey) then took the plans to Benchmarx (same umbrella company) and they supplied what I wanted for a fraction (30%? 40%?) of the cost. Had a fitter lined up with trade discount, that helped as I think Benchmarx only do trade sales. Hunt around and go beyond the "high street" names
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If this is your forever home, don't do anything on 'the cheap'.   Otherwise you'll be doing all again in five years time.

However, you could find good quality bathrooms and kitchens for sale online and then find local fitters. 
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    edited 20 April at 10:36PM
    Options
    I bought a bungalow in 2021 and now I've had the cavity ties/soffits/gutters and all floorboards replaced! I'm ready to do the old fashioned bathroom.  

I went onto my Which membership website, they have done a big comparison of bathroom retailers/bathroom makes.  B&Q/Homebase/Wickes came out at 67%.  Independents were top at 83%, then John Lewis, Screwfix at 79, 77, 77 %.  John Lewis no longer offer a fitting service, which is a shame!  I have asked my local trustworthy plumber to fit something if I buy it - I hope to find the Armitage range.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions.. I haven't put an offer in yet..ideally I need a modern, ready to move in one, but there are so few bungalows available , I'm trying to open the search to ones in need of modernisation.. I def don't want one that needs a tonn e of structual repairs. I would have thought Wickes would be cheap.. I'll look out for their umberella company, and thasnks  youth leader for shsaring the which results
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 976 Forumite
    Options
    Wickes and Benchmarx are both owned by Travis Perkins - other companies that do kitchen carcasses etc have similar structures: a retail side that's more expensive and a trade side that's cheaper if you can access it. It's not tricky - they don't care that much. All the products are the same. Use friends or the right fitter to get you access to the trade arm of the company and you'll have saved money
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    great advice.. I made a note, thank you
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions.. I haven't put an offer in yet..ideally I need a modern, ready to move in one, but there are so few bungalows available , I'm trying to open the search to ones in need of modernisation.. I def don't want one that needs a tonn e of structual repairs. I would have thought Wickes would be cheap.. I'll look out for their umberella company, and thasnks  youth leader for shsaring the which results
    Be a bit careful not to underestimate the cost of the work. You really need a friendly builder to give you a rough estimate before you offer on the house.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought Wickes would be cheap

Anything connected to construction/work on homes has rocketed in price in the last 3 years or so.

Due to Covid, there was a boom in demand and a restriction of supply of material, with some tripling in price. Then energy costs went up due to Ukraine war, plus general inflation. This has calmed down now but has left prices for all materials a lot higher than they were.

Then on the labour side, demand was high but less people around to do the work since Brexit, so tradespeople can demand higher prices.

So nothing is cheap anymore. Probably at least double to fit a kitchen of similar quality than 4 years ago.

• boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are about to buy from DIY Kitchens.  Much much cheaper than Wren, Bodensee, Benchmarx etc, but also much better quality. Had never heard of them but then read the Which report and they were very highly recommended. 

Magnetbwanted £45k for our kitchen and utility,  DIYK will be £18k, and better quality.

https://www.diy-kitchens.com/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure