Renting a studio- gas leak??

Options
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong section I’m new here but just need some advice
im renting my first studio flat and smelt a strong gas smell when I woke up this morning so I gave the emergancy gas line a ring and they sent someone out to check it out. They confirmed it was a small gas leak, and have capped my supply for safety. They advised me to ring up my landlord (I have to go through agents) so that they can send out someone to locate the leak and fix it so that I can get my supply back. So I rang up my agents, spoke to someone familiar and let them know however I don’t think they are taking this as a serious problem. They told me that there shouldn’t be a leak as my “carbon monoxide alarm” hasn’t gone off, and that everything was checked at a review just before I moved in. I tried to explain that this is what the emergancy gas guy told me, I have paper work infront of me confirming it. They said they’re gonna ring their plumber to come and look at it and they’ll ring me back in a few minutes. It’s been a couple hours now and I haven’t heard anything, I’ve had no update and I’m not hopeful as the conversation we had on the call sounded as if they thought I was just being dramatic and it couldn’t possibly be a leak. 
I’m worried because the smell was strong, there’s not many windows here to open and the gas here controls my heating as well as my gas hobs. I don’t have an oven, just the top hobs. And overall just knowing there’s a leak is concerning me, I don’t feel comfortable at all. I’m just wondering what my next steps should be if they refuse to send someone out to check on it? Or if they just fob me off? I’ve never been in this situation before so I’m not sure what I need to do, all I know is that I’m stressed out about it all!!!!! 

Thank you all for any advice I appreciate anything 

Comments

• Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would give them another call before they close to stress you have no gas and it’s their responsibility to send someone out. 
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    First things first, your gas supply has been cut off by the emergency gas person, so you can hopefully find some relief knowing there’s no longer any possible immediate danger. With no gas flowing through the pipes the leak has been left in a safe state, and any build up of gas that may have found its way into your living space should have found its way outside by now. 

In small amounts the gas won’t have done you any serious harm, and remember the gas company intentionally makes it smell strongly so that it’s easy to detect in situations exactly like this (the gas itself doesn’t have a smell, so they add this in).

Secondly, your agent is quite frankly talking nonsense and clearly does not understand the things they’re telling you. A carbon monoxide alarm for instance does not detect gas leaks and under no circumstances should it be relied upon for this purpose.

You’ve done the correct thing by calling the emergency gas line as a priority and the gas leak has been confirmed. It’s on the landlord to get the issue fixed now, try to be as firm as you can and insist that they send a professional to fix the leak and restore the gas connection. It sounds like they may either be clueless or want to avoid taking responsibility for repairing the property.

They have a legal responsibility for the gas safety of the property they are renting out, it may help to have a read (or direct your agent to this page to remind them of this) if they’re being difficult:
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/
    Moo…
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 447 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Secondly, your agent is quite frankly talking nonsense and clearly does not understand the things they’re telling you. A carbon monoxide alarm for instance does not detect gas leaks and under no circumstances should it be relied upon for this purpose.

It is quite worrying that the agent is so ignorant of the safety devices installed in properties they are managing. 
    Makes you wonder what “helpful” advice they are giving when people move in. 
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "have capped my supply for safety". Really, that says it all.
    Phone, back your agent
    . Ask to speak to someone more senior, if you dont' get a result. 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,537 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You have done everything right.  Agent is an idiot for thinking a CO alarm would detect a methane leak.

If the issue isn't sorted the local council private sector rented housing team (sometimes part of environmental health) will be able to intervene.

• laurenphil929
    Options
    Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies
    I called agency this morning and spoke to the same agent as yesterday, they said they’ve arranged for a plumber to come out this afternoon, so I’m waiting on that now. The phone call was a bit awkward to be honest. 
    Well just now, I saw a man lingering and assumed he was the gas man so I asked if he was here for the gas in flat 1, he said yes? Only to find out half way through our conversation that he’s not here for that he’s an inspector of some kind for a different flat in the block. 10 mins later the same agent I spoke to on the phone came to view around the flat next door with the inspector and I overheard them talking about the gas situation, in her words she said “this one has a gas leak, well according to her anyway” 
    Am I being stupid assuming this is insinuating that I’m being over dramatic? Or too stupid to realise what a gas leak is? . It’s not just according to me at all, ITS ACCORDING TO THE EMERGENCY GAS COMPANY THAT CAME OUT TO CHECK EVERYTHING!!!!! 
    I’ve explained that I have a notice explaining what he found. And that he’s capped the supply for SAFETY. I currently have no gas whatsoever and it is COLD. I don’t just call out gas company’s for fun this is a nightmare and I can’t help but feel like they’re not taking me seriously at all. 
    It’s not as if I’m a tenant that complains a lot because I never ever email or call them, I’ve never paid late, nothing. I’m still waiting on the plumber to come to check out my imaginary leak though so maybe once he’s here I can get this sorted. 
    I am so stressed, and it’s insulting as a grown adult being treated like I’m making something up. 
  • laurenphil929
    Options
    The plumber came out and done some tests and apparently the leak doesn’t seem to be coming from my flat, but he did say that he has been called out for this same problem by previous tenants multiple times and he can never find a leak in the flat I’m in currently. He believes it’s coming from the in the front of the property which is a  takeaway, but it’s underneath my flat. He said he always smells gas when coming to the hallway and believes they’re just ignoring it. The fact this has been an issue for a long time concerns me and to be honest I don’t feel very safe or happy living here knowing all of this but I’m stuck in the contract. I have no idea what to do from here considering the agents are aware of the gas smell but just send the same guy out and results in the same outcome. It’s my first time ever dealing with stuff like things, as well as my first time moving out, so I’m clueless with how things work. 
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The agent might have been informed over the phone, but also send an email to them stating the issue.
    Continue, to also put everything in writing to the agent, until the situation is resolved. 
    That way the agent can't ignore anything. It's all in writing. 
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 762 Forumite
    edited 20 April at 10:52AM
    Options
    The word "Takeaway " hit a nerve with me as over my 20 years as a meter reader I have found hundreds of takeways fiddling the gas meter which would involve undoing the unions of the gas meter many times with leaks appearing as the gas meter union  washer`s start to fail and leak more quickly .
    OP please just fill in the UKRPA form with the postcode and name of occupant /Takeaway below you to make sure the correct people check this gas meter out and more importantly how much they are paying on the gas account. Cadent will not have access to  payment history etc.
    It will not stop them doing what they are doing unless its dealt with by the correct people and that is a Revenue Protection trained person . When these meters do leak badly its the flat above which is in the firing line .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback