Goldsmiths lost my watch

Options
Help! Goldsmiths sent away my (rather expensive) watch for a service and have lost it. It was a present and holds sentimental value.
The brand no longer do that watch and the nearest ‘like for like’ is triple the price.  Where do I stand? 

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Firstly, don't guess, read the Goldsmiths Ts and Cs regarding their liability for losses.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    What have they offered
  • buxton2006
    buxton2006 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive asked them for their T and C’s as there’s nothing on the receipt they gave me. Nothing on their website
    so Ive contacted customer care.
    The manager asked me to look online for the comparable, then rang back to say they can offer me
    a cash settlement. The like for like has quadrupled since i got mine.

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 April at 6:14PM
    Options
    They have a duty to you in tort (not really consumer rights) to take reasonable care of your watch.

However a court would only make them pay the 'indemnity' value, that is what the same model in similar age and condition would cost to buy today.
    That very roughly is what a watch like yours in similar age and condition has sold for (not asking price) on eBay.

Since the watch was both expensive and valuable to you I assume it is insured? If so you will be better claiming off your insurance. They will probably recover some of the cost from Goldsmiths but that would be up to them.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,135 Forumite
    Options
    Ive asked them for their T and C’s as there’s nothing on the receipt they gave me. Nothing on their website
    The manager asked me to look online for the comparable, then rang back to say they can offer me

Don't you consider that a reasonable outcome? I know it doesn't address the sentimental element, but what would?  Five times the original value? Ten?

In reality, assuming the sentimental value is "priceless", I'd accept their offer of a cash settlement of 4x the value of yours at purchase.  If that's the genuine value, you're not entitled to any more, unless you insured it for a higher sum.  Did you?
  • buxton2006
    buxton2006 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April at 4:05AM
    Options

Don't you consider that a reasonable outcome? I know it doesn't address the sentimental element, but what would?  Five times the original value? Ten?

In reality, assuming the sentimental value is "priceless", I'd accept their offer of a cash settlement of 4x the value of yours at purchase.  If that's the genuine value, you're not entitled to any more, unless you insured it for a higher sum.  Did you?
    They are calling me back today. Have offered a cash option they cant confirm how much. Im assuming it’s current value 
    Initially the manager said they would replace (nearest like for like is four tiimes as much ) but then phoned back and gave me the option of a cash settlement. So I’ve asked them come back to me with something definitive as Im assuming he’ll have to speak to his manager.
    Of course the sentiment is priceless but I’d accept the nearest like for like. As i mentioned in my initial post Im curious to see where I stand which the previous post has answered. 

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What is the make and model? There are plenty of used quality watches for sale so hopefully you can replace it with an identical one of similar age.
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Depending on make and model, the watch could even have increased in value.  OP do your research to check how much it will cost to replace.  Forearmed is forewarned.
  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Oh and this post made me just check  where my own watch is currently residing. Posted back to Laco in Germany on 3 April  arrived at collection point on 16 April ( a lot longer than I expected).  Suspect collection is pending, have chased them up, just now.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,667 Forumite
    Options
    Like for Like may not cost them as much, if they can source in trade, rather than a consumer price.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure